RE: Another Database Down

From: Jim Hawkins <jhawkins_at_primary.net>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 06:54:48 -0700

Laura,

I fight this nearly every damn day. We constantly refresh several SAP systems from production copies via EMC BCV's and TimeFinder. About half of the time, I get the same error, where recovery was successful, but open resetlogs would fail. It turns out, in my case, that no amount of recovery will every get this database open (even with resetlogs) with this backup set. Apparently there is an issue with a piece of the EMC software that causes problems when mirrors are split during a hot backup. To make a long story short, there is an event you can set in via a server manager session that will dump all datafile headers. What you look for is what Oracle calls a "fuzzy SCN". That is, an SCN hex value that evaluates to a nonsensical  number. In English, the SCN for the header should have some hex value that corresponds to a number. If it is set to something like FFxFFFFFFFF, then you have a "fuzzy SCN" which means your backup is bad and will never work. I don't know if this is your exact problem or not, but since you're getting the same symptoms I was, I thought I would throw it out there. You can read more on MetaLink by searching for "fuzzy SCN". By the way, as soon as our RS/6000 SA upgraded our version of PowerPath, the bug went away, we have consistent mirror splits, and all is well on the SAP backup/restore front...

Sorry if I threw you way off on a tangent on this one.

Jim

Jim Hawkins
Lead SAPR/3 Oracle Database Administrator MEMC Electronic Materials, Inc.
600 Pearl Drive
St. Louis, MO 633376
9636) 474-7832
jhawkins_at_memc.com (work)