RE: [OT] Jobs in UK

From: Robertson Lee - lerobe <lerobe_at_acxiom.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 00:55:27 -0700

Diana,

That sounds way too high for Scotland, although the odd contract like that does appear from time to time. There was a couple of contracts like that where I live (Newcastle Upon Tyne,about 110 miles south of Edinburgh) but they were for experienced Oracle Apps DBAs. To make that sort of cash, I think you may have to be contracting in London.

I think the norm regionally is anywhere between 45-75 an hour, but I would like to hear from any other UK based people if I've got that wrong.

I am unsure as to how easy it is for foreign nationals to get employment over here although there do seem to be a fair few. I certainly don't think we are as strict as the U.S for example. I quite fancied a stint over there
(or Canada - Vancouver to be precise) but keep getting put off by the Green
Card thing and the fact that I am not University educated. Worked my way up from junior programmer in Cobol etc etc etc....

Anyway, there are no spare jobs in the UK AT ALL.....................:-)

Lee (Oracle DBA in the UK who likes the apparent shortage as I am always getting calls to "improve my situation" !!).