RE: comp.oracle.databases.server vs ORACLE-L: deathmatch

From: Boivin, Patrice J <BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 08:27:00 -0700

Funny, the threads on my MS Outlook at home never show up as threads... I end up with little entries all over the place. Might as well rely on e-mail.

The volume on the newsgroup is much higher, but perhaps as a result there is a LOT of junk going through there, a lot of spam. Some of it is offensive, nobody seems to be moderating that newsgroup at all. The listserv doesn't have that problem, the last time someone sent job offers to the members of this list, the sender received phone calls, and a flurry of e-mails to tell him to cease and desist. On the newsgroup I haven't seen it happen. Maybe if the spam was removed from the newsgroup, I would spend more time reading its threads.

The threads also seem to cover a broader range of topics than this listserv does. I prefer this list because I do database admin, and although I subscribed to the ODTUG listserv for developers, I like to keep the two areas separate (DBA and development).

Once in a while in the evening I access the newsgroup to see what is going on there, but often I end up sifting through hundreds of entries, deleting 80% of them or more.

I agree that there are knowledgeable people on the newsgroup as well.

I prefer this listserv.

Regards,
Patrice Boivin
Systems Analyst (Oracle Certified DBA)

Systems Admin & Operations | Admin. et Exploit. des systèmes
Technology Services        | Services technologiques
Informatics Branch         | Direction de l'informatique
Maritimes Region, DFO      | Région des Maritimes, MPO

        Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 04:56:31 GMT
        Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle.server

        Syltrem wrote:

> Hi!
>
> When you shutdown an NT system, how do you ensure that the Oracle
DB is
> shutdown properly?
>
> Other than connecting manually and doing a shutdown immediate,
that is. I
> would like the process of shutting down Oracle to be automatic.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --

If you installed the Oracle Administration Assistant for Windows NT, there is a panel that contains a radio button as to selecting the shutdown mode ('normal','immediate','abort'). to access it select: Start - Programs - Oracle-Ora81 - Database Administration - Oracle Administration Assistant for Windows NT under the 'Databases' node, right click on the particular database and select "startup shutdown options" in the "Oracle Instance" panel, you have a checkbox for "Shut down instance when service is stopped" under that is the radio button set for the shutdown options. click ok - and close the MMC console. If you are running W2K server or Pro - MMC is included. If you are running NT4 - you need to have installed the MMC for the Oracle Admin Asst plug-in. hth, Paul -- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com -- Author: Paul Drake INET: paled_at_home.com Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX: (858) 538-5051 San Diego, California -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists -------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).
Author: Boivin, Patrice J
  INET: BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca