RE: When to go for ORACLE NAMES Server

From: Jacques Kilchoer <Jacques.Kilchoer_at_quest.com>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 13:14:28 -0700

I personally had the opposite experience. When I tried to set up Oracle Names, I first tried Oracle Names for Oracle NT 7.3.4. I never was successful in starting it, and when I called Oracle support the person on the phone said "I've never managed to make it work either." When I tried Oracle Names 8.0 on HP-UX it worked right the very first time.

If one wanted to set it up (it's not really that much more difficult than starting up a listener), I would asking someone to provide sample configuration files (i.e. names.ora and sqlnet.ora). With examples of those two files it should be easy.

Jacques R. Kilchoer
(949) 754-8816
Quest Software, Inc.
8001 Irvine Center Drive