RE: Oracle 9i Articles - self tuning, launch delayed to

From: <sheisey_at_att.net>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 12:30:36 -0700

Eric, Sales and marketing have 1 job and that is to sell and market. These marketing things are teasers not necessarily giving detailed information. I have not checked but there may be some Oracle9i stuff on OLN. I think OLN has a trial membership (for 30 days?). However I am not sure of the detail.

I do know that 9i still offers the old way of tuning, however you can have Oracle do it for you if you want. The automatic tuning allows Oracle to adjust memory structures dynamically and when oracle adjusts these structures it write that information to the SPFILE. The SPFILE is the oracle managed init.ora. This dynamic tuning can also be temporary instead of persistent. 9i also brings back the ability to monitor the buffer cache. This will help you in determining if you need to add or subtract buffers.

As far as the MTTR goes, you have this in 8i as well. Oracle8i has you specify the MTTR information in blocks where oracle9i has you specify it in seconds, then oracle9i will determine how many blocks and how often the blocks need to be written to the redo logs for faster instance recovery.

Oracle managed files are nothing special. Oracle already creates the datafile for you. Oracle9i allows you to specify an init.ora parameter to specify where the datafiles get created by default. This also works for log files. This way you say "CREATE TABLESPACE test" and oracle will create the datafile in the specified location from the init.ora.

Oracle managed UNDO are also just rollback segments that are managed by Oracle and not you. The oracle managed UNDO are still segments just like the ones you create. The oracle managed UNDO(AUTO) has features that you can't get with old way of doing UNDO (Manual). The AUTO undo automatically creates UNDO segments based on init.ora parameters that I haven't quite figured out yet. The AUTO undo also allows retention of UNDO for a specified period of time. I haven't tested this but have been told that AUTO undo can steal extents from other rollback segments if that specific rollback segment needs more space (extents) and cannot extend in the current tablespace.

Scott

  INET: sheisey_at_att.net