Re: When to go for ORACLE NAMES Server

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_cybcon.com>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 10:37:01 -0700

Somewhat of a pain to setup for the first time, for sure.

But after you get it implemented, you will never want to go back.

One caveat: There is a fair amount of software around that *requires* tnsnames.ora or it won't work. Oracle Forms on unix comes to mind. Yes, Oracle's own software does not fully utilize names.

This is a minor problem when compared to the benefits though.

Jared

Author: Jared Still
  INET: jkstill_at_cybcon.com