RE: 9iAS Forms Server Stability

From: <elkinsl_at_flash.net>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2001 17:26:20 -0700

Jenny,

Just to make sure we are on the same page, when I was talking about web deployed, I was talking strictly internal networks, lan, wan, etc using the "web forms" approach.

Anyway, I don't know that you should nervous based on just my comments alone. It is kind of interesting, though, that no one has chimed in saying things work great. And from what I understand, it was a pretty difficult install for them with a lot of hiccups, restarts, and missteps along the way. And at the same time, there is a lot of other tweaking and stuff going on with the test box.

That's why they are looking to do a clean install on another machine, one on which nothing else is begin done. There are so many things that could be playing a role in the current instability they are seeing. Today, for example, I don't think it ever went down. They've still got a full 2 months before going live and getting things smoothed out.

I've now been pulled over to the operations side to help, with my role being primarily focused on using native IE instead of Jinitiator. And frankly, I don't know what I am doing -- I have no experience with this. They just want another body to throw at it. I can read the install manuals, Metalink and Technet doc's, etc. I run 9iAS 1.0.2 with Forms 6i and native mode = IE here on my home machine (Win2K), but, that's a far cry from a real production environment. And it took a good 3 days to get everything working with each other.

I guess I will be spending a lot of time on Metalink this weekend looking for potential pitfalls. They have already opened a TAR to get answers to certain questions regarding using IE's native JVM instead of JInitiator. And I've already come across stuff indicating that certain MS patches/upgrades still might need to applied. And their hope is to not have the users, or local techs, have to do anything. We will see.

Regards,

Larry G. Elkins
elkinsl_at_flash.net

  INET: elkinsl_at_flash.net