Re: Porting test rows to a Development instance...

From: Nancy Boberek <NBOBEREK_at_gcrta.org>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 16:45:04 -0400

I am answering this question without knowing what kind of box & operating = system you use.=20

At RTA, we are running 10.7 NCA on Windows NT 4.0 service pack 5, on a Compaq Proliant 7000 with 4 cpus of 200 MHz each. We have a = production and a test database on this box. Our database is 16 G. So it = may be very small compared to what a lot of other shops have. =20

Development - We have our 10.7 development databases here - one for the = developers and the demo database. This is a Compaq Proliant 7000 with 2 = cpus of 450 MHz each. And we also have a development web server.

We are usually given a few days notice. We were recreating the development=  databases using export/import. But since we have hot backups now, we = just restore from that to refresh the databases.

We're a small shop, with not too many users, and we are a public agency, so we try to use our budget dollars as best we can.

Nancy Boberek
Jr. DBA
Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Agency Cleveland, Ohio

>>> Jared Still <jkstill_at_bcbso.com> 8/7/00 2:04 PM >>>

John,

You don't mention the size of the production database.

It would be much more practical to copy the production data to a development machine on a periodic basis rather than create a subset of data.

With 200+ plus tables and extensions, do you think it can be done for less money than buying the hardware to duplicate the production environment?

Jared

On Mon, 7 Aug 2000, John Mule wrote:

> Dear Gurus:

>=20
>=20

> We have an ongoing issue in our shop that is causing everyone =
headaches.=20

> The issue involves porting an ample amount of test data from, say our=20
> Production instance down to our Development instance to adequately test =
our=20
> customizations. We are running the Smart Client version (10.7SC, =
Prod.=20
> 16.1) of Oracle Financials and the table relationships involved can =
get=20
> very involved such that, merely copying rows from several tables down =
to=20
> Development can become a nightmare. In some cases, the customizations =
we=20
> are developing require that only several rows be populated - we can do =
this=20
> by manually entering test data via the Oracle Forms. However, most of =
our=20
> customizations are very complex and require large amounts of data to =
be=20
> brought over. Can the Group give me any products out on the market to=20
> accomplish this? How do you normally handle these issues at your shop???
>=20
> Our DBAs indicate that it is not their responsibility to become =
involved=20
> with this "data transfer/population" process and we do not have the=20
> functional analysts to manually enter the data needed most of the time. =
The=20
> result of all of this is that we're having developers enter test data =
into=20
> our development instance - developers that sometimes do not have the=20
> functional background to create adequate test scenarios manually. As =
I=20
> understand it, this can become quite a controversial issue in some =
shops.
>=20
>=20

> John Mule' =
=09
> Oracle =
Development Team
> Tulane =
University
> (504) =

862-8000 ext. 2574
>=20

> --=20
> Author: John Mule
> INET: jmule_at_tulane.edu=20
>=20

>=20

Jared Still
Certified Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist ;-) Regence BlueCross BlueShield of Oregon
jkstill_at_bcbso.com - Work - preferred address jkstill_at_teleport.com - private

--=20
Author: Jared Still
  INET: jkstill_at_bcbso.com=20

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may Received on Mon Aug 07 2000 - 15:45:04 CDT