Re: Porting test rows to a Development instance...

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_bcbso.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 09:57:57 -0700 (PDT)

John,

You don't mention the size of the production database.

It would be much more practical to copy the production data to a development machine on a periodic basis rather than create a subset of data.

With 200+ plus tables and extensions, do you think it can be done for less money than buying the hardware to duplicate the production environment?

Jared

On Mon, 7 Aug 2000, John Mule wrote:

> Dear Gurus:
>

> We have an ongoing issue in our shop that is causing everyone headaches.
> The issue involves porting an ample amount of test data from, say our
> Production instance down to our Development instance to adequately test our
> customizations. We are running the Smart Client version (10.7SC, Prod.
> 16.1) of Oracle Financials and the table relationships involved can get
> very involved such that, merely copying rows from several tables down to
> Development can become a nightmare. In some cases, the customizations we
> are developing require that only several rows be populated - we can do this
> by manually entering test data via the Oracle Forms. However, most of our
> customizations are very complex and require large amounts of data to be
> brought over. Can the Group give me any products out on the market to
> accomplish this? How do you normally handle these issues at your shop???
>
> Our DBAs indicate that it is not their responsibility to become involved
> with this "data transfer/population" process and we do not have the
> functional analysts to manually enter the data needed most of the time. The
> result of all of this is that we're having developers enter test data into
> our development instance - developers that sometimes do not have the
> functional background to create adequate test scenarios manually. As I
> understand it, this can become quite a controversial issue in some shops.
>

> John Mule'
> Oracle Development Team
> Tulane University
> (504) 862-8000 ext. 2574
>
> --
> Author: John Mule
> INET: jmule_at_tulane.edu

Jared Still
Certified Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist ;-) Regence BlueCross BlueShield of Oregon
jkstill_at_bcbso.com - Work - preferred address Received on Mon Aug 07 2000 - 11:57:57 CDT