Designing Application for the Oracle Platform

From: Chee Joseph ( josephc) <josephc_at_EDBPO1.EDB.GOV.SG>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 01:50:15 -0500

Hi,

I am very very new to oracle.... I got a design puzzle that I hope U can help me out with...

Got a table with the following composite Key : Appl_No, Mod_ID, Sect_ID

Appl_No is alphnumeric of fixed length 9. I have declared it to be char 9.

Mod_ID and Sect_ID are purely numeric with initial value of 1 with maximum value of 99.
This value will be increased by 1 accordingly as new modules/sections are added.

I like to know/understand :

  1. how oracle stores & handles Mod_ID & Sect_ID as part of the composite key if I were to declare them as Char(2) or Num(2) or vChar2 (2), especially in the areas of compression, indexing & data retrival using the composite key.
  2. Any Implications or special considerations when declaring Mod_ID & Sect_ID as Char or Num or vChar2 in composite key.

Thanks & appreciate any help from all of you out there.

Cheers. .8-}

Jo...

U can get me at .... Josephc_at_edb.gov.sg Received on Thu Feb 22 1996 - 01:55:00 CST