Re: OWS & CPU licensing -Reply

From: Mark Saltzman <saltzman_at_ADMIN.UWEX.EDU>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 11:53:48 CDT

The last Oracle contract I saw had only two kinds of pricing for the RDBMS. There was the workgroup server and the enterprise server. Each was priced according to the number of users, but was not dependent upon the CPU size or speed. Quite a change (in the right direction) for Oracle.

> Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 07:57:43 -0600
> From: Andrew McAllister <mcallister_at_GRAD.MISSOURI.EDU>
> Subject: OWS & CPU licensing -Reply
> To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_ccvm.sunysb.edu>

> I thought the only price differential is in number
> of connected users and OS platform.
>
> I doubt Oracle could price based on CPU speed in
> the Intel market. By the time they got a price
> list our, there would be a faster CPU.
>
> Andy

> <kjetil.nordstrand_at_KVAERNER-PULPING.SE> 02/12/96
> 01:20am >>>
> Folks, a friend of mine is running Oracle
> Workgroup Server for NT on an Intel CPU.
> He is now going to climb up the Mhz ladder, but
> Oracle claims that will cost him more in license
> money ?!?
> snip

Mark Saltzman, Assistant Director
Information Systems, University of Wisconsin-Extension 432 North Lake Street, Madison, Wisconsin 53706-1498 TEL: 608.263.3084 / FAX: 608.262.2343 Received on Mon Feb 12 1996 - 13:14:11 CST