Huge C executables

From: Nigel Miller user:UKIMILN NLEVDPSB <ukimiln_at_NLEVDPSB.SNADS.PHILIPS.NL>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 16:01:25 -0100

Resending as every time I send this it is returned rejected for some reason, I think because I sent it to the wrong Internet address.

Dear Sylvia,

             I had a similar problem with the makefiles while running the installer, Oracle 7.1 on hp-Unix r9.   I was told by Oracle Technical Support in UK that the xxx.a files were the dynamic link files and the xxx.sl files were static link files. The dynamic files are supplied by HP as a chargeable extra
(The advantage being, presumably, that executables are therewith much smaller).
Best wishes
Nigel Miller

         Date: 02/06/96
         From: Mail forwarding syst                         UNIX     - NLEVNVX1
      Subject: Huge C executables

Date:         Tue, 6 Feb 1996 17:06:13 +0100

(Resending because a previous rejection)

Hi,

        I have noticed that when linking C objs with Oracle libraries, you end up with a huge executable (almost 2MB for a 50-line progam). The proc.mk makefile provided by oracle links everything into the program even sqlnet. Since I am trying to reduce the executable's length, what should I do?

        I've seen there is a 'dynamic' option in the makefile, but when I use it, it tells me he can't find "libsharesqlxa.a". Now, what did I miss at installation time, were they the shared XA libraries? If so, why? I thougth they were used for other purposes, something like an alternative to calling sqlnet functions (?).

        On the other hand, if my programs do not use sqlnet, since they run on the same machine as Oracle, how can I tell it not to link unecesary libraries? I tried not linking the sqlnet libraries but I keep getting undefined symbol errors.

        I'm a little confused, If someone can throw any light on this subject, I will be very gratefull.

Silvia Krasuk
krasuk_at_autostrade.it
Florence, Italy.
My Ideas of course!