Re: VARCHAR2(2000)

From: Allison, Paul <pallison_at_PPG.COM>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 1996 07:03:00 PST

Don't know, that is a question for Oracle. I got this from the Admin guide section on estimated table sizing.

Paul T. Allison
pallison_at_ppg.com

From: owner-oracle-l%CCVM.SUNYSB.EDU
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L Subject: Re: VARCHAR2(2000)
Date: Tuesday, February 06, 1996 10:45AM

> Actually, every field with length greater than 250 takes
> 2 extra space bytes. This could be significant in a large table.
>
> Paul T. Allison
> pallison_at_ppg.com

Why 250, not 255. One can certainly store '2000' in two bytes. What's the purpose of the third?... To store whether the column lenght is stored in one or two bytes ?

Ian MacGregor
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
ian_at_slac.stanford.edu Received on Wed Feb 07 1996 - 07:28:50 CST