Remote Access to Oracle -Reply

From: Andrew McAllister <mcallister_at_GRAD.MISSOURI.EDU>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 1996 10:09:25 -0600

My Oracle server uses SQLNet2 over TCPIP to talk to clients. I regularly connect from home via SLIP (serial line ip). Our campus has a bank of slip servers that basically turn home machines into nodes on the campus network.

I can run: Windows apps to talk to Oracle, SQL*Plus for windows, Oracle graphical utils, Telnet to the Oracle server and open SQL*Net on the server.

Basically, If your work machine is on the internet, and your home machine can get to the internet (NOT through AOL or Compuserve) then you can talk to your Oracle server, assuming it is running SQLNET over TCP/IP.

Andy
Andrew McAllister -- Senior Programmer Analyst Office of Research, University of
Missouri-Columbia
McAllister_at_grad.missouri.edu

>>> jfm <jfm_at_PA.MICROSERVE.COM> 02/01/96 09:46pm

 Excuse the ignorance, but we are very new to Oracle. We are about to install for the first time on an RS-6000. I am concerned about access from our home pc's.
snip Received on Fri Feb 02 1996 - 11:32:04 CST