Re: Remote Access to Oracle

From: Jennifer Pivovar <jpivovar_at_SPROCKET.LCP.COM>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 1996 10:44:37 -0500

On Thu, 1 Feb 1996, jfm wrote (in part):

> What are our requirments for accessing oracle, from a DBA perspective, from
 our
> home pc's running windows?

  You need a PC, modem & communications software. your choice of each of these depends on what you're dialing in to and how you need to connect.

If you simply have a modem on your server & dial directly in, you can use something like Pro*Comm and have a command-line session with your server.

If you want to use the windows desktop products, you need to provide for a PPP or SLIP connection. (you will also need the fastest modem you can get). You will then use SQL*Net just like you do in the office to communicate with the servers. You must have a device on the network (such as a Shiva lan rover) to call in to and establish the PPP, and you must have dial-up software on the remote PC (Spry's Air Series, for example) in addition to SQL*Net and, of course, the oracle desktop products you want to use.

> Is it true that we can access oracle from work either in "text" mode from
> the server or using the windows based products such as server manager.
> Is this correct? Would the same apply from home?

There are a thousand ways to configure remote access. These are just two fairly straightforward methods that I have used.

jpivovar_at_sprocket.lcp.com Received on Fri Feb 02 1996 - 10:52:52 CST