IOUW 1996

From: Michael Abbey <76711.1015_at_COMPUSERVE.COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 1996 23:15:10 -0500

> I'm a little concerned about the rift that I hear may be going on =
> between Oracle and the IOUW. What I gather from Oracle's side is that =
> Oracle met every condition set out by the IOUG for a joint IOUG/Oracle =
> show and the IOUG still refused. As a result, Oracle is not supporting =
> the Dallas show.=20

The IOUG-Americas is presenting IOUW (in Dallas) as we have for the past 14 years. Oracle Open World is an event that we support and, with a business agreement between Oracle and the IOUG-A, intend to work out a way for the two events to co-exist. As always, IOUW is designed as one of the premier education opportunities for Oracle users.

> I'm not taking sides - I used to be a regional Oracle users group =
> officer. There are probably a lot from both sides.

The gist of the IOUG-A feeling about IOUW and OOW is summed up in the previous paragraph.

> But the users seem to be the losers. Some of the best talks were by =
> Oracle personnel. Will the vendors go to both shows? The campgrounds =
> with various vendors and users and Oracle were good. I'm not sure a =
> show without Oracle's presence will be that good - but then neither will =
> an Oracle only show.

The IOUG-A is committed to bringing a continued high level of service to our direct membership (through the Alliance Group program) and conference attendees, and guiding attendees to IOUW through a high-end technical experience with Oracle where they will leave IOUW better informed and armed with the skills necessary to better use Oracle products. The IOUG-A and Oracle have still to decide the presence that each will play at these two events. We see the two as being complimentary - the audience at IOUW is focused, and most already Oracle consumers. We think this fact stands on its own in making the event attractive to vendors including Oracle.

> Any other thoughts out there?

Michael

#  Michael Abbey             +1.613.780.2364
#  VP of Communications      Ottawa ON, Canada
#  Director of Publications
#  IOUG-Americas             +1.312.245.1579