Re: SQLNET V2 question

From: Tony Jambu 041 985 2628 <tjambu_at_FALCON.TELECOM.COM.AU>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 1996 07:21:00 +1000

Bill

> > We're still on V1 sqlnet and have an ongoing problem with our PC
> > connections. When a PC based client re-boots their PC during an active
> > connection to the database, that session's daemon usually does not go away
> > on the UNIX side and often seems to run away eating up CPU as fast as
> > possible.
> > Question: Does anyone out there know how V2 sqlnet handles this type of
> > lost connection?
>
> Not very well. I just tried it on a test database. I established a
> connection from the PC then recycled the instance on the server. When I
> tried a query after recycling, I got "end of file on a communications
> channel".

Bill, I think you may have misread the original email. The question is what happens to the server connection from the client if the client is rebooted. Not what happens to the client if the server is rebooted.

To answer to original question. SQL*Net V2 handles this well. There is a keepalive parameter that is set on the server end that probes the client to see if it is still there. It works and we are using it.

You need to have the following in your sqlnet.ora file

    sqlnet.expire_time = 1 (units in minutes)

For Oracle 7.1.3 on Solaris, there is a patch that Oracle fix a problem where idle connections were being killed.

ta
tony

--

 _____       ________ / ___|Tony Jambu, Database Consultant
  /_  _        /_ __ /     |Wizard Consulting,Aust (ACN 065934778)