Re: Trace file modes

From: Leng Kaing <leng_at_COUGAR.VUT.EDU.AU>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 1995 15:56:48 -0500

> Dear Fellow Oracleites
>
> There is this problem bugging me for quite some time. The user_dump_dest for
> the output of trace files generated in each session run with the
> 'SQL_TRACE=TRUE' parameter has been set explicitly for each instance in the
> system which depends on our applications and the files are created in the
> respective directories. But this causes problem which is more O/S related (i
> would say) as they are owned by Oracle and the others do not even access to
> read them. So every time as a DBA I need to change the mode of the file to be
> made readable by others. To overcome this problem we had established a cron
> activity which changes the mode of these files every 5 minutes. I think there
> should be some other way to make these files readable by public. Is there any
> initora or set parameters that needs to be set. I have gone thru the DBA guide
> and there is nothing mentioned in it. Shall be greatful if any of you could
> suggest some alternatives.
>
> Thanks in Advance
>
> Ravi

Ravi et. al,

I think that I've resolved my previous problem with trace files now. The way to make trace files accessible by the public is to have umask of those generating the trace files to 022. And also have the _TRACE_FILES_PUBLIC set to TRUE in the init.ora file.

By the way, environment is: SunOs 4.1.3 and Oracle 7.1.3

Thanks for the suggestions,
Leng.

--

Leng Kaing, Software Consultant, VUT - Footscray Campus Dept of IT & S, PO Box 14428 MMC, Melbourne 3000, Australia Tel:(03)688-4368 Fax:(03)688-4800 Email:Leng=Kaing_at_vut.edu.au Received on Sun Mar 19 1995 - 18:41:23 CST