Home » Other » General » Migrating from Crystal to Oracle
Migrating from Crystal to Oracle [message #268645] Wed, 19 September 2007 04:44 Go to next message
mikean
Hello people

The organisation I'm working for is looking into the pros and cons of migrating from Crystal Reports to using Oracle Reports.

We use Crystal extensively, and have a large number of tailored Crystal Reports that our departments use.

I'm interested in finding out if anyone has been involved in a similar migration, so I can get an idea of the timescales and costs involved in converting Crystal Reports to Oracle Reports. Also, what are the pros and cons of designing, building, and using Oracle Reports over Crystal Reports.

Any directions would be most helpful.

Thanks

Michael
Re: Migrating from Crystal to Oracle [message #268722 is a reply to message #268645] Wed, 19 September 2007 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MarcL
I believe that you will be re-writing all of your reports as there are no good migration tools. Depending on the number and complexity of your Crystal reports this will not be a fun task I assure you.

Do you have any Oracle Reports expertise in house? It is not by any means an intuitive product, although I haven't used Oracle Reports since 6i so maybe it has progressed.

Unless there is an overwhelming business reason to be migrating, I would probably stay with the status quo.
Re: Migrating from Crystal to Oracle [message #268725 is a reply to message #268722] Wed, 19 September 2007 08:27 Go to previous message
mikean
Hello MarcL

Thanks very much for your response and advice.

We do have quite a number of Crystal reports (at least 100+), some of a pretty high complexity...

One of the forces pushing us into looking at Oracle over Crystal in an issue with the number of CALs (i.e. concurrent users) we can have using Crystal reports, and the costs of obtaining more.

You say that there are no good migration tools. Would you know if any are available?

Also, would you be able to point me to any case studies or white papers on this subject, and can I ask, have you personally worked on any migration projects?

I'd really be looking for a unbiased comparison of pros and cons of Crystal and Oracle reports.

Thanks again

Michael

Previous Topic: general
Next Topic: ORA-00600: internal error code, arguments: [729]
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 09:02:11 CDT 2024