Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » TNS-12560 and ORA-01041
TNS-12560 and ORA-01041 [message #217547] Fri, 02 February 2007 13:38 Go to next message
EvilNCarnate
I am a newb here, but I do know a little about what I am dealing with. I have an issue with the above two errors and could use some assistance in finding the problem.

Back Story: I work for a software company and our software is backed by an Oracle Database, Reports are run through Oracle Reports... We currently use Oracle Enterprise Edition 8i and Oracle Reports 6 (patch 17). The system in question functioned fine for a very long time (customers system), suddenly they started having connection problems every morning and so they just rebooted the server. Well finally they got tired of it and called me.

Now I was able to take a look and sure enough the client could not connect to the server (application that uses oracle DB). So I started troubleshooting. I did a tnsping to the server using all the names possible and all failed with a tns-12560 error. I then restarted the TNSListener service on the server and tried again, results were the same. Finally I set host entries on the clients, copied the tnsnames.ora from the server to the clients machines (only run reports runtime on machines) and tried again. Still the same error. Changed the Host name in the tnsnames.ora from the server name to the server IP and attempted again... Still no dice.

Now our program is written with delphi and uses BDE. So BDE has entries for Oracle in it, normally I can test with BDE and see if there is an issue there. I tested with BDE and it returned ORA-01041 and TNS-12560. Tried restarting the listener and so forth and still the same.

So I rebooted the server. After rebooting everything works fine. The next day, everything is not working and we are back to square one.

I have attached a copy of the tnsnames.ora and listener.ora, I combined them into one file but they both have a heading so you can tell which is which. Any help on this issue is greatly appreciated.
Re: TNS-12560 and ORA-01041 [message #217550 is a reply to message #217547] Fri, 02 February 2007 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
Can you connect to the database using the tns alias when you are connected to the database server itself? Is the Window's Oracle service started? Do you see any errors in the Window's event log, the database's alert log or the listener.log?
Re: TNS-12560 and ORA-01041 [message #217551 is a reply to message #217547] Fri, 02 February 2007 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
What you've described does not make a whole lot of sense to me.<dbx1-oracle@dbx1.hitbox.com:/a/oracle/5601428/files:> oerr ora 1041
01041, 00000, "internal error. hostdef extension doesn't exist"
// *Cause: Pointer to hstdef extension in hstdef is null.
// *Action: Report as a bug
<dbx1-oracle@dbx1.hitbox.com:/a/oracle/5601428/files:> oerr ora 12560
12560, 00000, "TNS:protocol adapter error"
// *Cause: A generic protocol adapter error occurred.
// *Action: Check addresses used for proper protocol specification. Before
// reporting this error, look at the error stack and check for lower level
// transport errors. For further details, turn on tracing and reexecute the
// operation. Turn off tracing when the operation is complete.
<dbx1-oracle@dbx1.hitbox.com:/a/oracle/5601428/files:>
The 1041 error can indicate that ORACLE_HOME is not set, but I doubt this is the case.
The primary thing that I find baffling is why things should work after a reboot & then stop working after some period of time.
I can't say have ever had a similar situation.
For it to "always" work immediately after a reboot, say to me that many things are OK.

What OS name & version?
Re: TNS-12560 and ORA-01041 [message #217560 is a reply to message #217551] Fri, 02 February 2007 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EvilNCarnate
ebrian wrote on Fri, 02 February 2007 14:23
Can you connect to the database using the tns alias when you are connected to the database server itself? Is the Window's Oracle service started? Do you see any errors in the Window's event log, the database's alert log or the listener.log?

The windows Oracle service shows started. I did not attempt to make a connection to the database as I have had little time to work on the situation. The customer is on the east coast and I am in on central time. They come in at 8 am and I come in at 8... resulting in an hour difference. They only left it up one day for me to try to pull an error off. Now I do know that after they have rebooted I can connect, but I have not had a chance to try before a reboot.

The ultimately strange part is I have not found any real errors in any logs. I would be happy to post up copies of any logs that you think would help. I have attached a copy of the log since 12-30. The issue has been going on much longer and I will try to host the complete 2 year log if you think it would be helpful. The office where the server is had a fire and then of course sprinklers last weekend (01/26/07) so the logs may have some oddities then.

anacedent wrote on Fri, 02 February 2007 14:38
What you've described does not make a whole lot of sense to me.<dbx1-oracle@dbx1.hitbox.com:/a/oracle/5601428/files:> oerr ora 1041
01041, 00000, "internal error. hostdef extension doesn't exist"
// *Cause: Pointer to hstdef extension in hstdef is null.
// *Action: Report as a bug
<dbx1-oracle@dbx1.hitbox.com:/a/oracle/5601428/files:> oerr ora 12560
12560, 00000, "TNS:protocol adapter error"
// *Cause: A generic protocol adapter error occurred.
// *Action: Check addresses used for proper protocol specification. Before
// reporting this error, look at the error stack and check for lower level
// transport errors. For further details, turn on tracing and reexecute the
// operation. Turn off tracing when the operation is complete.
<dbx1-oracle@dbx1.hitbox.com:/a/oracle/5601428/files:>
The 1041 error can indicate that ORACLE_HOME is not set, but I doubt this is the case.
The primary thing that I find baffling is why things should work after a reboot & then stop working after some period of time.
I can't say have ever had a similar situation.
For it to "always" work immediately after a reboot, say to me that many things are OK.

What OS name & version?

The server is running Windows Server 2000 SP4. The Oracle Home is set, I believe the ora error is a byproduct of the tns error. Typically I see hostdef errors when a client can not find the server on the network, either due to a firewall or it resolving to the wrong ip. However this is not the case this time. The time factor to me is the oddest part. I tend to think something is happening at night but nothing seems to be scheduled to run at night.
Re: TNS-12560 and ORA-01041 [message #217563 is a reply to message #217560] Fri, 02 February 2007 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
How much memory does the system have? You may need to increase the amount of memory on the system and/or increase the size of the page file. Additionally, you may want to ensure that the 'processes' parameter is set high enough in the init file for the database.

Re: TNS-12560 and ORA-01041 [message #217564 is a reply to message #217563] Fri, 02 February 2007 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EvilNCarnate
ebrian wrote on Fri, 02 February 2007 15:47
How much memory does the system have? You may need to increase the amount of memory on the system and/or increase the size of the page file. Additionally, you may want to ensure that the 'processes' parameter is set high enough in the init file for the database.

The Server has 1 gig of Ram, 75gig HD w/ 63g available. And a secondary 36gig w/ 32 available. The page file was 1533 - 3074 and only on C drive so I set both drives with a non sliding size of 3074. That way the page file doesnt have to grow. The 'processes' parameter is set at 150 (200) is commented as large... so I bumped it to large.

Of course the fun part is I will not know if any of this works until monday. I appreciate all the help so far.
Re: TNS-12560 and ORA-01041 [message #231435 is a reply to message #217563] Tue, 17 April 2007 01:32 Go to previous message
ashima_nikhil
Hi

I hope this problem of yours is resolved. Just in case, it's not. I had a similar problem. The reason was domain name change. You may need to set domain name appropriately either in initialization parameter file or use global db name in tnsnames.ora and listener.ora

Hope this helps.
Previous Topic: Sometimes an error come out "Could not connect to database"...Why??
Next Topic: Heterogeneous Connectivity Issues
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 03:50:46 CDT 2024