Home » RDBMS Server » Security » SYSDBA OS Authentication Insufficient Privileges
icon4.gif  SYSDBA OS Authentication Insufficient Privileges [message #217518] Fri, 02 February 2007 11:14 Go to next message
will_s
Hi and thanks for any help in advance.

I am trying to login into Oracle 9i database as sysdba using OS authentication but get ORA-01031: insufficient privileges error message. The OS is Windows Server 2003, Oracle version 902000300.

Ok, so here is what I have done:
1. In sqlnet.ora I have SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES = (NTS)
2. Created local user group ORA_DBA
3. Added current user (which is part of a domain) to this group
4. This user is also part of the administrators group
5. Also tried remote_login_passwordfile=EXCLUSIVE & remote_login_passwordfile=NONE in init.ora file
6. Run SQLPlus /nolog
7. SQL> Conn / as sysdba
8. Insufficent privileges error (grrrr!)

I have also tried:
1. Create user (in Oracle) "OPS$DOMAIN\USER"
2. SQLPlus /nolog
3. SQL> Conn /
4. Connects ok!

Also, I have another instance of Oracle (same version/build) running on another server, connected to the same domain. The above process works perfectly here (using the same domain user to logon to the server). This server "appears" to be setup the same (in terms of local users and groups as well as Oracle setup).

Any ideas? I am starting to get very frustrated now!! Unfortunately I am not a Windows or Oracle expert and do not really know the intricacies of how Oracle authenticates users.

Any suggestions would be very very gratefully received!

Cheers,
Will

Re: SYSDBA OS Authentication Insufficient Privileges [message #217524 is a reply to message #217518] Fri, 02 February 2007 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
What version of O/S is your domain controller?
Re: SYSDBA OS Authentication Insufficient Privileges [message #217625 is a reply to message #217524] Sat, 03 February 2007 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
will_s
I'm not sure what OS version the domain controller is...I will find out. But if both servers and the user are on the same domain would they not be using the same DC?

Cheers,
Will
Re: SYSDBA OS Authentication Insufficient Privileges [message #217635 is a reply to message #217625] Sat, 03 February 2007 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
If the domain controller is a Win2k server then you should log on to the domain controller as an administrator and go into Control Panel --> Active Directory Users and Computers. Double click on the Win2k3 server where your database resides and select the "Member of" tab. Add "Pre-Windows 2000 Compatible Access" and then try the connection again.
Re: SYSDBA OS Authentication Insufficient Privileges [message #217772 is a reply to message #217518] Mon, 05 February 2007 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
will_s
So, are you suggesting Oracle doesn't have read access on the token-groups-global-and-universal (TGGAU) attribute? I understand that Pre-Windows 2000 Compatibility Access would provide this, as would the WAA group...unfortunately, I don't have any access to the DC to check this. Our network guys are, well, not very helpful to say the least, so I want to leave asking them as a very last resort! Is there any way to check if a server is in either of these groups from the server rather than the DC?

Thanks again,
Will
Re: SYSDBA OS Authentication Insufficient Privileges [message #217799 is a reply to message #217772] Mon, 05 February 2007 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
I don't have a Win2k3 environment to test this on, but you can try to run the following from a command line:

net localgroup /DOMAIN "Pre-Windows 2000 Compatible Access"

I COMPLETELY understand the reluctance of asking your network/sysadmins (think we've all been there before), but if nothing else seems to work, that may be inevitable.
Re: SYSDBA OS Authentication Insufficient Privileges [message #217993 is a reply to message #217799] Tue, 06 February 2007 05:32 Go to previous message
will_s
Hi thanks for that, this is the result I got...

C:\Documents and Settings\uk-int-serv>net localgroup /domain "Pre-Windows 2000 Compatible Access"
The request will be processed at a domain controller for domain eu.***.net.

Alias name Pre-Windows 2000 Compatible Access
Comment A backward compatibility group which allows read access on all users and groups in the domain

Members

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AM\Exchange Domain Servers
AP\Exchange Domain Servers
Exchange Domain Servers
NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users
The command completed successfully.

C:\Documents and Settings\uk-int-serv>net localgroup /domain "WAA"
The request will be processed at a domain controller for domain eu.elcompanies.net.

System error 1376 has occurred.

The specified local group does not exist.

Cheers,
Will
Previous Topic: Database audit trail compromised
Next Topic: Need info on availabilty of kerberos plugins for Oracle 10g
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 02:53:30 CDT 2024