Home » Other » General » verylarge datafile size while importing dump from oracle9i to oracle10gR2
verylarge datafile size while importing dump from oracle9i to oracle10gR2 [message #215026] Fri, 19 January 2007 00:40 Go to next message
prozac
Hello everybody. I am brand new to this forum. Since my search here and elsewhere didn't turned out any answers remotely related to my problem I decided to ask it here. My sincerest apology in advance, if I missed something along the line. TIA.

I am facing a problem that I am unable to solve. I have a dump
file of size 160M taken from Oracle9i (9.2.0.1) DB running on Windows 2003 Server. In this server the default characterset has been changed from (Western European...) to UTF8 format to get bilingual support and the dump contains data w/ this charaterset.

Now when I try to import the dump to Oracle10gR2 DB running on Linux, the datafile size accomodating this import grows so fast and so big, The server runs out of space on oracle partition and the import process never completes.

This 160M dump import takes up the 19G of free space available and wants to grow more. I would like to make it clear that the datafile size (from Oracle9i DB) is just 3.5G in total.

The same import done in 10gR2 in another Windows server also turns out exactly the same.

I don't know what I am missing here. I will post the commands I have been using for the import/export If need be. Can somebody please provide some insights to this case?

TIA.

EDIT:
The following is the export command I am using in the Oracle9i Server:
exp my_username/my_password@oracle9i_service_name file=C:\Back-up\mydump.dmp log=C:\Back-up\mydump.log

The following is the import command I am using in the Oracle10g Server:
imp my_username/my_password@oracle10g_service_name file=C:\Back-up\mydump.dmp log=C:\Back-up\mydump.log full=y ignore=y

[Updated on: Fri, 19 January 2007 01:13]

Report message to a moderator

Re: verylarge datafile size while importing dump from oracle9i to oracle10gR2 [message #215054 is a reply to message #215026] Fri, 19 January 2007 02:18 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>> I have a dump file of size 160M
That is just data. While importing, you might be creating related indexes.
export was taken with COMPRESS=Y (default) might be another reason.
HOw are the tablespaces created in 10g?
Is this 10g database an 'empty' one? Else with ignore=y you might be appending data to an existing schema.

I would do a test import with show=y logfile=somelogfile.log. THis will not import anything.
Instead all DDL will be dumped into somelogfile.log. Look into somelog.log for DDL specifcations.
COmpare with 10g tablespace specfications.
Previous Topic: which is better oracle developer or dba??
Next Topic: Shell scripts
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 18:42:11 CDT 2024