Home » Other » General » ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel
ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel [message #202606] Fri, 10 November 2006 09:18 Go to next message
oraclechick
hi,
i trying to create an oracle database via the dbca but i get the ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel error. What could be the possible causes of this?
Re: ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel [message #202636 is a reply to message #202606] Fri, 10 November 2006 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
This is what Oracle says about it. See if it helps. If not, do come back and say what happened.
Oracle
ORA-03113 end-of-file on communication channel

Cause: An unexpected end-of-file was processed on the communication channel. The problem could not be handled by the Net8 two-task software. This message could occur if the shadow two-task process associated with a Net8 connect has terminated abnormally, or if there is a physical failure of the interprocess communication vehicle, that is, the network or server machine went down.

In addition, this message could occur when any of the following statements/commands have been issued:

ALTER SYSTEM KILL SESSION ... IMMEDIATE

ALTER SYSTEM DISCONNECT SESSION ... IMMEDIATE

SHUTDOWN ABORT/IMMEDIATE/TRANSACTIONAL

Action: If this message occurs during a connection attempt, check the setup files for the appropriate Net8 driver and confirm Net8 software is correctly installed on the server. If the message occurs after a connection is well established, and the error is not due to a physical failure, check if a trace file was generated on the server at failure time. Existence of a trace file may suggest an Oracle internal error that requires the assistance of Oracle Support Services.
Re: ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel [message #202757 is a reply to message #202636] Sat, 11 November 2006 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oraclechick
I realized that i'm getting this error because of the memory distribution. I need to make the instance smaller - i chose to make a custom database and for the memory distribution, i chose Custom -> Manual and changed the values. The dbca says that the shared pool, buffer cache & pga size must be at least 80M, 16M & 16M respectively. But even with these values, i get the ora-03113 error. When i choose the Typical or Custom -> Automatic memory distribution, I dont get this error. But the sga size is set at about 600M and the pga size is about 200M, and this is too large for my purpose. How can I reduce these values and by how much?
Re: ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel [message #202759 is a reply to message #202757] Sat, 11 November 2006 16:17 Go to previous message
oraclechick
after more trials, it seems that i'm getting this error because of the value i set for the number of processes under the sizing tab, and not because of the memory distribution. When i set the value for the processes at 10, i get this error. But when i set it at 20, the database creates fine.
This value specifies the max number of operating systems user processes that can connect to the database, but what does this actually mean? I dont quite understand it.
How do i know what value to set for this, if only 1 user will be connecting to the database?
Does this value affect the size of the databse in any way? (the bigger this value, the more memory is needed, therefore the bigger the database?)
thanks!

[Updated on: Sun, 12 November 2006 11:32]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Help me please!!!
Next Topic: Standard vs enterprise version
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 08:57:16 CDT 2024