Home » Other » General » What is the easy way to one can find the Oracle client version on his/her machine
What is the easy way to one can find the Oracle client version on his/her machine [message #202211] Wed, 08 November 2006 14:39 Go to next message
Dobson1954
We are going for major upgrades on existing applications in our organization. Most of our applications are oracle client dependent. So we would like to know the oracle versions on user machines. How can end user can easily find out the oralce client version on his/her machine.(Our users are using oracle 6, 7, 8, 8i and 9i clients)

Appreciate your ideas.

Thanks
Re: What is the easy way to one can find the Oracle client version on his/her machine [message #202375 is a reply to message #202211] Thu, 09 November 2006 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dobson1954
Folks,

Any ideas?

Thanks
Re: What is the easy way to one can find the Oracle client version on his/her machine [message #202380 is a reply to message #202211] Thu, 09 November 2006 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
can't you find it through the Control Panel => Add or Remove Programs?
(I take it the clients are win-clients)
Or by means of the Universal Installer

btw, are you sure you have Oracle 6 clients???

[Updated on: Thu, 09 November 2006 07:29]

Report message to a moderator

Re: What is the easy way to one can find the Oracle client version on his/her machine [message #202386 is a reply to message #202211] Thu, 09 November 2006 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dobson1954
I am not able to see in Control Panel >> Add/Remove programs. I don't think so Universal installer available with Oracle 6 and 7 versions.

I am looking for the easiest way to user himself can findout the oracle version on his machine.

I am thinking of tnsping utility. If we tnsping the at command prompt it will give the oracle version on user machine. But tnsping utility might have different naming convension in older versions. For example

With oracle 8 --> tnsping80.exe
with oracle 8i --> tnsping.exe
with oracle 9i --> tnsping.exe

Does anybody know exact tnsping utility exe in oracle 6 and 7?

Please let me know if there are any other easiest way user can find oracle version on his/her machine.

Thank you.
Re: What is the easy way to one can find the Oracle client version on his/her machine [message #202427 is a reply to message #202386] Thu, 09 November 2006 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Clients *should* have SQL*Plus. At the operating system command prompt write

OS> SQLPLUS /?

which will show you a short help for SQLPLUS command. Find a specifier which shows SQL*Plus version (which would then be client version as well) (if I'm not wrong).

For example, Oracle 10g would do that as
C:\>sqlplus -v

SQL*Plus: Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production
Re: What is the easy way to one can find the Oracle client version on his/her machine [message #202449 is a reply to message #202427] Thu, 09 November 2006 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
@Littlefoot,

I see that you have installed Oracle 10g XE on your PC, because I got exactly that which you posted. But actually most of the stuff I run on my PC is through the Oracle 8 client.

How about if they go to their Oracle home in the registry (My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE) and look at that? The 'Oracle_Group_name' is set by Oracle (I think).

David
Re: What is the easy way to one can find the Oracle client version on his/her machine [message #202499 is a reply to message #202449] Fri, 10 November 2006 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
David,

previous post was based on Oracle 10 - you were absolutely right.

This morning I got access to another Oracle versions; Oracle 7 and Oracle 8, to obtain version number, accept

SQLPLUS -?

while Oracle 9 and Oracle 10 use

SQLPLUS -v

Now, this is a little bit strange: Oracle 8, but version 3.1.etc. Is this approach correct?
ORA_8_$ sqlplus -?

SQL*Plus: Release 3.1.3.5.1 - Production on Fri Nov 10 08:14:15 2006

I checked registry; it says that "ORACLE_GROUP_NAME = Oracle - Ora10DevSuiteHome". What kind of version number is this?!?

At the end of discussion (at the moment), I'm a little bit confused.
Re: What is the easy way to one can find the Oracle client version on his/her machine [message #202984 is a reply to message #202211] Mon, 13 November 2006 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dobson1954
Hi,

Looking into registry (regedit) is not be the right option for end users. Because end users may not have admin rights on their machine, so they could not get into the registry.

SQLPLUS -? and SQLPLUS -v is giving the sqlplus version assosiated with corresponding oracle database, but not the oracle db version. I think with oracle8, sqlplus engine version is 3.1.3.5.1

Is there a way to get the get the document which shows the Oracle db and assosiated utilities versions and release dates?

Thanks.
Re: What is the easy way to one can find the Oracle client version on his/her machine [message #203040 is a reply to message #202984] Mon, 13 November 2006 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
Just out of curiosity; why exactly do you need to know the existing client-version? Why not just install client 10g on each workstation?
Re: What is the easy way to one can find the Oracle client version on his/her machine [message #203257 is a reply to message #202211] Tue, 14 November 2006 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dobson1954
We have lot different applications based on different versions of oracle and some of these applications are legacy applications so won't compatable with 9i and 10g. No body has much idea which users is using which application and we have approximately 4000 users. Atleast this point of time we wanted to collect all the data from the users and also upgrading one of our application. We want to make sure this application won't effect the other applications which users were using.

Thank you.
Re: What is the easy way to one can find the Oracle client version on his/her machine [message #203341 is a reply to message #203257] Tue, 14 November 2006 19:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
/forum/fa/1688/0/ OMG!! I think that you will have more issues with which version of Java is on each PC and whether the older PCs can run the latest Java that you will be using with your new application.

Obviously you don't have audit logging on your older applications. One suggestion is to decide which applications you KNOW are being used, and then turn the others off for a day or a week and wait for the screams.

How old is the oldest PC? Does this organisation have a hardware upgrade program? How does the upgrade process work? Do they reinstall the software, do they just 'image' the old drive to the new drive, do you have a 'standard image' which is placed on each new PC?

David
Re: What is the easy way to one can find the Oracle client version on his/her machine [message #203415 is a reply to message #203341] Wed, 15 November 2006 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
djmartin wrote on Wed, 15 November 2006 02:15
/forum/fa/1688/0/ ... and then turn the others off for a day or a week and wait for the screams.

Mmmm, always love that strategy!
Tip: Don't forget to note who's on holiday
Tip2: Take a holiday yourself during this period Wink
Re: What is the easy way to one can find the Oracle client version on his/her machine [message #207344 is a reply to message #202211] Tue, 05 December 2006 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bwetkstr
launch OUI
Re: What is the easy way to one can find the Oracle client version on his/her machine [message #207373 is a reply to message #207344] Tue, 05 December 2006 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
bwetkstr wrote on Tue, 05 December 2006 10:50
launch OUI

Frank wrote on Thu, 09 November 2006 14:28
Or by means of the Universal Installer

Already suggested before
Re: What is the easy way to one can find the Oracle client version on his/her machine [message #207697 is a reply to message #207373] Wed, 06 December 2006 12:02 Go to previous message
andrew again
It's very common to have multiple Oracle homes on a machine - usually with different versions. Most large organizations can scan the inventory of PC's to form a database of who has what.

The date and filesize of a specific file can usually be correlated back to the version. Our organization defines which binaries form part of the Ora client package, so sqlplus*.exe isn't necesarily there. Once you know what file to look for - you could just do a dir /s filename on each drive.

The oracle home used is often determined by oracle.key in the directory where the executable is run - rather than the order of homes in the path. ODBC connections have more of a dependency on order of the homes in the path from what I recall...
Previous Topic: Dont get Japanese chars over Database Link
Next Topic: need help for displaying full string in filter dropdown box
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 20:39:00 CDT 2024