Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Slow perfomance through satellite
Slow perfomance through satellite [message #197467] Wed, 11 October 2006 06:13 Go to next message
pathfinder
Hi, We have installed an Oracle 9i DB into a windows 2003 server. That server has internet access with ADSL 2048/256. on the other side the terminal client has internet access via satellite connection 1024/512. We noticed that the client pc via satellite is slower. we run an ethereal to see the packets and we saw that there are alot connections in order to fetch the results.
Is there a way to change this and with fewer connection per query the DB server return the data with one or fewer connection
???

Thanks
Re: Slow perfomance through satellite [message #197494 is a reply to message #197467] Wed, 11 October 2006 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pathfinder
we tried the same connection through dialup and we got faster response time! is this possible? i believe that the timeouts are small for satellite connectivity is there a way to increase them and have an increase in perfomance or someother way??
Re: Slow perfomance through satellite [message #198732 is a reply to message #197494] Wed, 18 October 2006 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kimant
First, You should know I have no idea about sattelite connections, bu tperhaps You should talk to whoever You bought it from.

Have You tested the connection by fx. transferring a large file?

Normal client behaviour is to open only a single connection.
This is done by
1) Contacting the DB listener, normally on port 1521.
2) Listener tells the database to start a client process, which are then assigned a port (port X).
3) Listener answers the client about where the client process can be reached.
4) Listener disconnects.
5) Client connects to the client process on the server (port X).

Hope this helps.

Br
Kim
Re: Slow perfomance through satellite [message #198761 is a reply to message #198732] Wed, 18 October 2006 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pathfinder
Yes we have tested the connection by downloading large files and it reaches the maximum of the line we have. Although in the queries it kept down to 3kbps. we tried to change the windowsize but with no achievement
Re: Slow perfomance through satellite [message #198764 is a reply to message #198761] Wed, 18 October 2006 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kimant
How are You connecting - what kind of client are You running?
Re: Slow perfomance through satellite [message #198765 is a reply to message #198764] Wed, 18 October 2006 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pathfinder
We have the server direct to the satellite modem. The client is the application we use...nevertheless we tried the SQLPLUS and we saw that the times to connect to the database and the data that returned were slower.
Re: Slow perfomance through satellite [message #198768 is a reply to message #198765] Wed, 18 October 2006 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kimant
You really give a lot of details here!

"The client is the application we use"

Doh - I never saw that one coming Smile
And here I thought You were using somebody else's application!

"we tried the SQLPLUS and we saw that the times to connect to the database and the data that returned were slower."

Slower than what? The application?

If that is Your (real) issue, I think You are looking in the wrong direction - something else is happening here.

But.... unless You give some details here, I cannot help You.

Sorry
Kim
Re: Slow perfomance through satellite [message #198771 is a reply to message #198768] Wed, 18 October 2006 08:30 Go to previous message
pathfinder
I am sorry . Wrong grammar i suppose.

Anyway we use the application of an ERP client to connect to the ERP server. When we do that, the times are very slow.

Also when we use the simple SQLPLUS to connect direct to the DB the times to connect are the same as the erp's client program.
Previous Topic: Low performance - Database
Next Topic: Last Ananlyzed Column in OEM
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 09:31:52 CDT 2024