Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Report taking long time
Report taking long time [message #180888] Wed, 05 July 2006 13:51 Go to next message
srinivas4u2
Hi,

DB Version - 9.2.0.7
O.S - Aix 5.2
Type - Datawarehouse

I have a report that runs every morning to collect sales statistics from first quarter till that day. I would like to know if there is any option by which I can just add the new statistics to the previous day's statistics instead of running (or calculating)the report from the beginning. The reason being as the data is becoming more each day the report is taking longer to complete.

I hope I have made the question clear.

P.S - Don't want to use materialized views.

Thanks,
Srinivas
Re: Report taking long time [message #180891 is a reply to message #180888] Wed, 05 July 2006 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>> option by which I can just add the new statistics to the previous
That should a functionality inside your warehouse.
You can ask your warehouse / reporting architect to maintain a seperate 'history' based on some timestamp.
Run the query of out of it.

Re: Report taking long time [message #180908 is a reply to message #180891] Wed, 05 July 2006 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
srinivas4u2
Thanks for the response Mahesh but I am afraid you did not understand my question.

"You can ask your warehouse / reporting architect to maintain a seperate 'history' based on some timestamp" - Do you mean a separate table? I am sorry I didn't understand what you mean here.

I want the latest statistics in the report each day , since the report is being made for 1yr (let's say), I just want to add yesterday's statistics to day before yesterday's report (since it has the statistics for 1yr). Please let me know if you know of anything other than materialized views.

Thanks,
Srinivas
Re: Report taking long time [message #180986 is a reply to message #180908] Thu, 06 July 2006 03:12 Go to previous message
JRowbottom
You could use a 'Poor mans materialized view' and simply store the data that you need in a table. That way each day you could add another row to the table without the overhead of generating all the previous data.
Previous Topic: fast_start_mttr_target
Next Topic: Why size log_buffer have no equal?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 15:21:24 CDT 2024