Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Index Creation Speed-up
Index Creation Speed-up [message #180308] Mon, 03 July 2006 01:08 Go to next message
ithanver
Hi.
I need to create a dozen of bitmap indexes on a very large table, containing about 350 million records and 30 GB in size.
Table is range partitioned by month. I ran the CREATE INDEX statement with NOLOGGING and PARALLEL options but it took more than 2 days just for one index to be created. I don't know if it's Ok or not, but the processes wait for "library cache lock" event. The time it takes is absolutely unacceptable. Any suggestions how to speed up the process?
Re: Index Creation Speed-up [message #180331 is a reply to message #180308] Mon, 03 July 2006 02:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rleishman
Totally guessing here, but you were creating the indexes NOLOGGING and PARALLEL one at a time, right?

I'm not really across the Library Cache Lock wait event, but my reading of doco makes me think that creating indexes concurrently on the same table is the sort of thing that might trigger it.

There are references to Library Cache Lock here and here, but they require some deeper understanding that I don't have.

Also, did you Locally Partition the indexes?

Ross Leishman
Re: Index Creation Speed-up [message #180343 is a reply to message #180331] Mon, 03 July 2006 02:46 Go to previous message
ithanver
Of course, I am creating indexes one at a time with both NOLOGGING and PARALLEL with local partitioning.
Previous Topic: Query is slow
Next Topic: HELP! very high in cpu usage
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 22:56:58 CDT 2024