Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Can I use Pragma Autonomous Transactions for Performance Improvement?
Can I use Pragma Autonomous Transactions for Performance Improvement? [message #178326] Tue, 20 June 2006 11:16 Go to next message
Abhishek_Gupta

Hi,
I am having a performance issue while launching a concurent program which uses certain insert/update statements in oracle base tables like ra_interface_lines_all, as well as some custom tables. I am planning to fire 5 (the number may increase) parallel instances of that concurrent program. But since that conc program uses insert statements in tables, the programs error out with error of No wait: resources busy, which shows that insert statements have locked the tables. I want to accomplish this by using Pragma Autonomous_transaction command in start of the procedures in package which have insert statements. Is this possible?
Please post a reply to my id to : Abhigupta008@gmail.com
Thanks in Advance,
Abhishek
Re: Can I use Pragma Autonomous Transactions for Performance Improvement? [message #178806 is a reply to message #178326] Thu, 22 June 2006 17:22 Go to previous message
andrew again
Using autonomous transactions in pl/sql will allow you to commit certain records without committing the whole transaction, but you need to be 100% sure that's what you want. If you commit those locked rows, you can't roll them back.

you can implement lock retry logic or just serialze the jobs you currently have in parallel.

http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:::::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID:4515126525609

To serialize some pl/sql try this type of approach...
declare
 v_busy_xyz_processes number;
begin
 for i in 1..100 loop
   -- is a copy of this code running already?
   select count(*) into v_busy_xyz_processes 
   from v$session where user_info = 'XYZ process';

if v_busy_email_processes = 0
   then
     -- No running copy of this code found in v$session, so put 
     -- signature on this session to signal other processes
     -- that we are busy with XYZ.
     -- Now this signature will be visible in v$session.
     dbms_application_info.set_client_info( 'XYZ process' ); 

--==================
     -- run XYZ here
     --==================

-- remove signature - or if this code only runs
     -- in dbms_job, then it'll end naturally
     dbms_application_info.set_client_info( 'done' ); 

exit;  <-- XYZ done, so exit loop
   else
     -- Sleep 5 sec, then try again. Hopefully the blocking
     -- session will be done.
     dbms_lock.sleep(5); 
   end if;
 end loop;
end;
/
Previous Topic: How to reduce nested loops in a big query?
Next Topic: improve performance of query over dblink.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 15:31:18 CDT 2024