Home » Other » General » Can one reuse an existing oracle presentation?
Can one reuse an existing oracle presentation? [message #177753] Fri, 16 June 2006 07:59 Go to next message
orausern
Hi,

I know this is perhaps a dumb question. But since I do not know, i guess better to ask it and remove the ignorance...if one has to make a presentation (which is non commercial-which is for knowledge sharing with collegues/seniors in one's company) on an oracle topic , can one use a presentation available on the web for the same?

If one can, then unnecessary efforts for a week or so can be saved..or perhaps one has to draw a diagram for oracle architecture oneself? (since refering what is given in oracle docs also may not be allowed?)

Re: Can one reuse an existing oracle presentation? [message #177763 is a reply to message #177753] Fri, 16 June 2006 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
Legally you may not copy other people's work - whether it's a paper, presentation, image, or what ever. By default everything written by you or anyone else is copyrighted. If you do copy other people's work, you or you company run the risk of getting sued.

Exceptions:

- You may quote other's work (small portions only)

- If the material is explicitly licensed as GPL or free, you may copy and use it as dictated by the license granted.
Re: Can one reuse an existing oracle presentation? [message #177765 is a reply to message #177763] Fri, 16 June 2006 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
orausern
Thank you Frank! One more question is: is oracle documentation also licenced like that? can we not refer to it or its images too?
Re: Can one reuse an existing oracle presentation? [message #177766 is a reply to message #177765] Fri, 16 June 2006 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
Unfortunately, yes. Oracle like suing people - so, better not take a chance with them.
Re: Can one reuse an existing oracle presentation? [message #177768 is a reply to message #177766] Fri, 16 June 2006 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
orausern
Thank you very much Frank. I would rather not do anything than get entangled into any suing business!
Re: Can one reuse an existing oracle presentation? [message #177791 is a reply to message #177768] Fri, 16 June 2006 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
There's no harm in asking. Explain your company's sales representative at Oracle what you are about to do and ask him/her if it is ok.
Re: Can one reuse an existing oracle presentation? [message #177815 is a reply to message #177791] Fri, 16 June 2006 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
This reminds me of an incident about 2 years back. An Oracle employee sent me info to put on this site. I though it's fine since they work for Oracle. Not too long after that we've received a cease and desist letter from their legal department. Luckily they accepted our apologies and the content was immediately deleted.

As Frank said, there is no harm in asking. However, if you can, get it in writing!
Re: Can one reuse an existing oracle presentation? [message #177960 is a reply to message #177815] Sun, 18 June 2006 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
orausern
Thanks a lot! Yes I shall explore out these options..

As I tried for a few hours on saturday to create a diagram of oracle instance, I realize I need to pick up on drawing! in ms paint, I am just not able to draw an oval and then paint it blue etc..I am searching for a forum and tutorials for that too Smile
Re: Can one reuse an existing oracle presentation? [message #178051 is a reply to message #177960] Mon, 19 June 2006 04:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
Try The gimp instead of paint
Re: Can one reuse an existing oracle presentation? [message #178069 is a reply to message #178051] Mon, 19 June 2006 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
Yes, I'm also using GIMP (http://www.gimp.org/). It's definitely worth a look.

PS: What are you writing about? If it is worth sharing, we can always fit it in somewhere on this site.
Re: Can one reuse an existing oracle presentation? [message #178071 is a reply to message #178069] Mon, 19 June 2006 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
orausern
Thanks again..this should be most helpful as yesterday I was thinking of learning quickly this adobe pagemaker/photoshop..but this tool looks good..only thing is i should be able to install it on windows..let us see..

i am preparing a presentation on oracle 9i architecture..I shall certainly share it , once I am done which should be at least a week due to the problems of thinking about how to draw the circles and colours inside them to represent background processes etc. Smile

Thanks again..how I wish there would be a simpler way out..but let it be what it is...
Re: Can one reuse an existing oracle presentation? [message #178081 is a reply to message #178071] Mon, 19 June 2006 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
As you've mentioned MS Paint, do you have a licence of MS Visio? It can draw many things, including circles. And flowers too Wink

I believe, as it yet another Microsoft product, that it can easily be incorporated into the Power Point (you are making this presentation in it, aren't you?).

However, if the whole story is out of MS domain, forget about Visio and Power Point.
Re: Can one reuse an existing oracle presentation? [message #178115 is a reply to message #178071] Mon, 19 June 2006 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
Quote:

which should be at least a week due to the problems of thinking about how to draw the circles and colours inside

Don't focus too much on the looks! A presentation is all about content, focus on that.
(just an advice)
Re: Can one reuse an existing oracle presentation? [message #178119 is a reply to message #178115] Mon, 19 June 2006 08:05 Go to previous message
orausern
Yes Frank so true...but somehow, I found that content is very well conveyed by a few good images then lots of long sentences..it captures attention and helps to hold it. Of course but I have to make sure that I dont get lost into images..yes.
Previous Topic: What is SCM?
Next Topic: Project in ORACLE Developer (merged)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 01:22:17 CDT 2024