Home » Other » General » Opinion please 10g or 9i?
Opinion please 10g or 9i? [message #176614] Thu, 08 June 2006 22:34 Go to next message
nightangel73
Guys I want to be become an oracle developer. NOw I have signed up in a technical college to take oracle course to be COA and I could choose either the 10g COA or the 9i COA. Which you guys think is better choice? The oracle instructor told me that if I was comfortable with linux then I could consider 10g but that if i liked more windows then 9i. I really of course like more the windows but if there are more job opportunities with 10g in linux then I would like to do the linux. Can you guys give me some insightful feedback? Cool
Re: Opinion please 10g or 9i? [message #176647 is a reply to message #176614] Fri, 09 June 2006 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
I really can't see how a knowledge of Operating Systems would influence your choice of database versions as a developer.
Both courses would have there benefits:
- 9i: Most used (i think), so all knowledge would be directly usable and applicable. 10g-specific features will come as you would need them, but as a beginning developer, I don't see how you would need them the first couple or so months.
- 10g: You learn all the new and nitty 10g features. Downside is you will have to be aware that you learn some techniques you won't be able to use on a 9i database, but that would also mainly apply to the stuff you won't be using at first

Note, this is just my opinion
Re: Opinion please 10g or 9i? [message #176761 is a reply to message #176614] Fri, 09 June 2006 08:26 Go to previous message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Do the course on the non-Windows environment. You know Windows, but you need to know enough Linux as well. I believe that most database servers are on non-windows machines. Also you can get 10g XE for your own PC to practice on. But then again you can do the same thing with 9i or 10g on a Linux partition.

David
Previous Topic: download problems....
Next Topic: Please suggest the job title
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 01:42:56 CDT 2024