Home » Applications » Oracle Fusion Apps & E-Business Suite » What is your opinion on using custom triggers to audit tables
What is your opinion on using custom triggers to audit tables [message #173742] Wed, 24 May 2006 05:19 Go to next message
manwadkar

I want to audit transactions like Invoices, POs, vendors etc.. using custom database oracle triggers. What do you think on this? I know triggers affect performance of system. But I see there is no option? Do you know any other option?
Re: What is your opinion on using custom triggers to audit tables [message #173807 is a reply to message #173742] Wed, 24 May 2006 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David.K.Dickson
Take a look at the System Administrator's Guide, User and Data Auditing. That should give you some ideas.

However, you should be aware that logging everything that goes on in your database is going to take up a lot of table space. Be sure to consider the cost of this storage in any proposal that you make.

Cool HTH

David.
Re: What is your opinion on using custom triggers to audit tables [message #173941 is a reply to message #173742] Thu, 25 May 2006 05:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Soham

Hey,Dont know about Invoices and all these things since I am a HRMS person.
But you can have a audit trail define on each column of any table, so cant you use that.
Having custom triggers will reduce the performanse as well as it is not supported by oracle

Regards,
Soham
Re: What is your opinion on using custom triggers to audit tables [message #174146 is a reply to message #173941] Fri, 26 May 2006 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
manwadkar

I want to avoid using standard audit functionality of Oracle apps to avoid burden on system. I feel having triggers will be faster than audit feature.
Re: What is your opinion on using custom triggers to audit tables [message #174148 is a reply to message #173807] Fri, 26 May 2006 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
manwadkar

We are planning to have triggers on few objects. Having trigger would be faster than standard audit functionality.
Re: What is your opinion on using custom triggers to audit tables [message #174167 is a reply to message #174146] Fri, 26 May 2006 05:38 Go to previous message
adragnes
I hope you are not basing decisions which has consequences such as loosing support on your feelings alone. How come you feel that you can design a custom solution that is significantly less of a burden than the standard out-of-the-box solution from Oracle? Have benchmarked you solution against the standard?

If you insist on building your own solution, I would urge you to take a look at the Oracle Database Security Guide. It contains a lot of information about the auditing functionality in the database.

--
Aleksander Dragnes
Previous Topic: if any body have CM material plz send it to me
Next Topic: how to find query_only and standard functions (AOL)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 19 06:02:17 CDT 2024