Home » Other » General » Diagramming the system
Diagramming the system [message #171625] Wed, 10 May 2006 12:01 Go to next message
Bruce Carson
I would like to diagram all our databases to capture everything from oracle, access, spreadsheets, adabas, etc. If it is a production data source it makes the diagram. Then to be real fancy .... I can click on a data source and it would drill down into an erd (if created).

Which tool would be best for such a task? Designer? Visio? Other?
Re: Diagramming the system [message #171638 is a reply to message #171625] Wed, 10 May 2006 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Designer is a good place to start but I don't think it will handle the spreadsheets. Actually I can'tthink of anything that will 'look' at the spreadsheets.

David
Re: Diagramming the system [message #171646 is a reply to message #171638] Wed, 10 May 2006 18:19 Go to previous message
djmartin
Account Moderator
I thought about your problem more over breakfast, and Access or a real windows based application is probably the best bet as the PC has ODBC connections to Oracle and Adabas. Access also had a builtin connection to spreadsheets until this last law suite and update to Office. But if you use an older version you may be able to drill into spreadsheets.

You could, of course, use Oracle 10g and Application Express and convert all your Access databases and Excel spreadsheets to Oracle and then you would only have to worry about getting Oracle to connect to the Adabas environment. Wink

David
Previous Topic: Project
Next Topic: noramlization
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 06:03:22 CDT 2024