Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » tnsnames problem
tnsnames problem [message #17944] Sat, 05 February 2005 11:17 Go to next message
Reema
Hi,
I got Oracle installed on my home pc in my absence. I am not able to connect to the database. what should i specify as the username, password and the connecting string. Is there any way to get the information of the connecting string from the files.

Can somebody help me out in this matter.
Thanks
Re: tnsnames problem [message #17945 is a reply to message #17944] Sat, 05 February 2005 11:58 Go to previous message
Barbara Boehmer
What version of Oracle are you using? In most versions, if you chose to install the scott schema that contains the emp and dept demo tables, then you should be able to use username scott and password tiger. If you are using 9i, it should have prompted you for passwords for sys and system during installation. Prior to 9i, the defaults were user system and password manager and user sys and password change_on_install. In 9i, if connecting as sys or system you must connect as sysdba. Since this is a home system, you should be able to leave the host string blank. You said it was installed in your abscence. Are you certain that whoever installed it, installed the server and not just the client? Are you trying to connect through a SQL*Plus login screen or from the operating system prompt? What happens when you try to connect? Are you getting an error message that says invalid username and/or password or some other error?
Previous Topic: The Attribute of dispatchers
Next Topic: problem accessing solaries oracle data with win98
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 30 23:43:09 CDT 2024