Home » Other » General » Database design
Database design [message #163102] Tue, 14 March 2006 22:59 Go to next message
selvakumar_82
Hi friends,

I am working in a small company , We are not following any standard method for any projects.

But my TL said, I have to take care of database design for each project.

I need a guidence , How to develop a database design for any project.

What are the constraints i have to follow .....?

Any one share ur experience , It will be useful for me

If u dint understand my problem , Reply immediately.

Thanx in advance

regards

Selva.R
Re: Database design [message #163125 is a reply to message #163102] Wed, 15 March 2006 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Okay, let's open this "can of worms". I expect that I will be flamed for many of my comments.

Use reasonably meaningful names for tables and fields. If they get too long then try to use fairly standard (but consistent) abbreviations. If in doubt, just remove the vowels (a, e, i, o, u).

For each table also have a three letter acronym. Then if you have an 'ID' field that is used in foreign key relationships, then put the three letter acronym before the '_ID' name in ALL the tables that use it including the owning table.

Always put you key fields first in the list of fields. Always put a width on number fields.

Develop a list of standard suffixes, for example:
_FL for flags (usually only Y and N)
_IND for indicators (typically single byte varchar2 fields)
_NO for numeric numbers
_NUM for character numbers
_DT for dates
_TS for date-time stamps

If you have a set of tables that are closely related then SERIOUSLY consider giving them the same prefix or name root.

David

[Updated on: Wed, 15 March 2006 16:01]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Database design [message #163137 is a reply to message #163125] Wed, 15 March 2006 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rleishman
As far as object naming standards go, the advice above is as good as any. Most important is to BE CONSISTENT. Google "Database Naming Standards" and look at some of the documents you find - especially those on domains with .edu. - universities are red-hot on this sort of thing.

Also search for Oracle Database Design Standards, or variants of that phrase. Someone has done this already and will have published them on the web. (I have several times, but cannot publish them because I don't own the intellectual property).

Choose an appropriate database design tool. Oracle Designer is probably the best choice if it is part of your Oracle licence. ErWin is good too.
Re: Database design [message #163501 is a reply to message #163137] Thu, 16 March 2006 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
selvakumar_82
Ok, If any one provides me a document or design details for real time projects it will be useful for me,

In my company i have done manual relationships for tables,
Atpresent for any projects, we will design tables and relationships based on dataflow. I dnt have any guidence , (everyone was fresher)

I have attached my pharmacy management database design ,
go thorugh it and send ur reply./forum/fa/898/0/
Re: Database design [message #163520 is a reply to message #163102] Fri, 17 March 2006 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
panatisudhakar

hi selva kumar,

desining database first you should draw dfd's

then you follow as it is design methods

Regards
Sudhakar
Re: DBMS_PIPE [message #163522 is a reply to message #163501] Fri, 17 March 2006 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
panatisudhakar

hi friend,

this is sudhakar i am working one small company

i need to know what is Dbms_pipe and usage

Regards
Sudhakar

[Updated on: Fri, 17 March 2006 01:21]

Report message to a moderator

Re: DBMS_PIPE [message #163525 is a reply to message #163522] Fri, 17 March 2006 01:40 Go to previous message
selvakumar_82
It s a built in package in Pl/sql,

It provides a DBMS pipe service that ENABLES messages to be sent between sessions,

Regards
Selva
Previous Topic: Can we use solaris commands in pl/sql procedure ?
Next Topic: Master degree project's topic
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 17:01:38 CDT 2024