Home » Other » Training & Certification » Build a career in ERP
Build a career in ERP [message #151659] Fri, 16 December 2005 01:18 Go to next message
Sutheesh T
Build a career in ERP

ENTERPRISE Resource Planning, or ERP for short, denotes a software application that allows an organisation (or enterprise) to effectively and efficiently manage its resources. The resource could be manpower, raw material, vehicles, equipment and finances to name a few. Some leading software solution providers have developed ERP packages, which now form the backbone of several large organisations. ERP packages comprise several modules that can be used either in a stand-alone mode or in conjunction with one or more of the other modules. Oracle 11i, SAP, J D Edwards and People-soft are some of the popular ERP applications. These packages have found ready acceptance amongst several large and medium enterprises, and in return have helped the organisations achieve an optimal level of performance in their respective areas.

Demand for these applications is increasing by the day, primarily because of the huge potential they hold out for users. Such an exponential growth has created job opportunities for professionals opting for a career in ERP Package implementation and maintenance.

The ERP scenario primarily offers two types of job options -- that of the Functional Consultant and the Technical Consultant. There would also be other parallel openings in the fields of database administration, systems administration, software testing and network administration. Barring the first two, all the other jobs are more generic in nature and pertain to the software field as a whole.

Functional Consultant: These professionals require a fair understanding of and experience in a particular physical process. For example, an ERP package implementation in a pharmaceutical company would require functional consultants experienced in finance, HR, pharmaceutical manufacturing processes, procurement processes, inventory management, customer relationship, supply chain management, etc.

The functional consultant would thus be a person who analyses the business process of an organisation and designs the process flow of a particular business area.

A functional consultant should ideally be an MBA in the business area he is functioning in; and should have undergone a training session in the ERP, which he is implementing. Solution providers hold training sessions in their respective areas. For example, SAP conducts training modules for functional consultants in all the different business areas involved in a programme. These courses are, however, costly. A minimum of two to three years' experience in the relevant functional area is mandatory. As for monetary benefits, pay scales start from about Rs.15,000+ per month.

Senior consultants may also be employed as architects to design and implement the entire ERP package for an organisation. Pay scales for seniors are generally very high, ranging between 500,000 and a million rupees per annum.

Technical Consultant: Technical consultants basically are software developers or IT professionals. Their task involves development of forms and reports based on inputs provided by a functional consultant. These professionals need to code the business requirements into the software and integrate them to form a contiguous package.

Typically, you should be a graduate in computer sciences to qualify for the position of a technical consultant. You should also have taken part in a training programme conducted by the respective ERP developer. Experience is not an issue at the entry level. However, senior developers and system integrators need to possess at least 5 to 7 years of experience in development. Pay scales vary from about 12,000 rupees per month at the entry stage to 50,000 rupees at the senior level.

A very senior IT professional may qualify as an architect to work along with a functional consultant in designing and implementing the application.

Many job opportunities also exist in the US and other developed countries, where there is a high demand for experienced ERP professionals with good communication skills.

I hope this has given you a better view in making a career choice in ERP.

To know more on making a career into Oracles ERP, or as a DBA, mail me with your latest resume
--

Warm Regards
Sutheesh T
Education Division
Oracle India Private Limited
Ph (Off): -+ 91-80-41084709 ETXN 4709
Mobile:- +91-9880662638
Mail Me: sutheesh_22@yahoo.com

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. " - Thomas A Edison

Learn Oracle From Oracle- Get certified now [message #152764 is a reply to message #151659] Mon, 26 December 2005 23:52 Go to previous message
Sutheesh T
Hi all,
Below you can find the details of Oracle University India course schedule.

Functional Courses
Course Name
1 11i Financials 20 Days Rs1,20,000 16th Jan Bangalore, 6th Feb Mumbai, 6th Mar Delhi, 17th Apr Chennai
2 11i HRMS 22 Days Rs 130,918 20th Feb Bangalore
3 11i CRM 21 Days Rs 124967 6th March

Technical Courses (Min Qualification BE or BSc Comp Science)
Course Name
1 10g DBA 10 Days Rs 59,508 16th Jan Delhi, 5th June Mumbai, 3rd April Bangalore, 9th Jan Chennai Hyderabad, 6th Feb Calcutta.
2 10g RAC 5 Days Rs 29754 2nd Jan Mumbai, 20th Feb Bangalore,
3 10g AS 10 Days Rs 59,508 5th June Hyderabad,
4 9i DBA 15 Days Rs 89,262 9th Jan Bangalore, 30th Jan Chennai
5 9i RAC 5 Days Rs 29754 17th Apr Chennai
6 11i Tech\ DBA 15 Days Rs 89,262 9th Jan Mumbai, 13th Feb Delhi, 27th Feb Calcutta

Warm Regards
Sutheesh T
Ph (Off): -+ 91-80-51084709
Mobile:- +91-9880662638
Mail : sutheesh_22@yahoo.com, sutheesh_oracle@yahoo.com
Chat: sutheesh_oracle (yahoo)
sutheesht (AOL)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. " - Thomas A Edison

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic: Learn Oracle from Oracle- Oracle Financials, HRMS, CRM, 10g DBA, 10g RAC
Next Topic: An idea for homework assignment
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 06:03:12 CDT 2024