Home » RDBMS Server » Security » Getting into Oracle
Getting into Oracle [message #15597] Fri, 15 October 2004 05:18 Go to next message
Mike
I just wanted to ask people that are actually working with Oracle a couple of questions. I just started back to school and I have chosen Oracle as my field of study. Before I can even get into any Oracle based classes I have to complete Computer Programming. I am currently attending class for Computer Programming working with (Qbasic) and at times I am lost. Mostly because I have never messed with programming and have trouble figuiring out what is wrong with the code. I would like to know just how important a role Programming plays a role in working with Oracle? If I am not liking programming at this point in time should I rethink going into Oracle?
Re: Getting into Oracle [message #15617 is a reply to message #15597] Sat, 16 October 2004 02:44 Go to previous message
Frank
Hi,

This is just a personal opinion:
There are roughly two ways you can work with Oracle: as a developer, writing code (that is programming) or as a dba, administering the database.
If you do not like programming obviously, the developer-way is not your piece of cake.
Fot the DBA-role you have to be able (if you want to be any good) to at least read and understand program-code.
It also requires a certain technical insight that programmers need. What insight this is is hard to describe; it's a kind of 'feeling' for the database/programming/problem-solving.
I would recommend to finish your programming course, and see afterwards whether you still dislike programming.
Rethink what made you choose for Oracle in the first place; if it's the money or something: choose something else asap !

hth
Previous Topic: Password
Next Topic: Forgot SYS password
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:28:22 CDT 2024