Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » ORA-12541: TNS: no listener but I can connect from the server !
ORA-12541: TNS: no listener but I can connect from the server ! [message #145481] Thu, 03 November 2005 07:19 Go to next message
sstellini
Hi,

i reinstalled both oracle client and a database (9.2) on my PC and managed to connect to the server. However after I had created the local database (I created it during the installation process) I did not manage to connect to it and constantly getting this message:
ORA-12541: TNS: no listener

However, I can connect to my database from the server! I'm not seeing anything wrong with the listener files from both server and my PC but then I'm a very green in this field so forgive me my blindness if I'm not seeing something obvious..

The tnsnames and listener files from my PC are attached.

Thanks for your help
Sonja
  • Attachment: tnsnames.zip
    (Size: 0.73KB, Downloaded 1340 times)
Re: ORA-12541: TNS: no listener but I can connect from the server ! [message #145602 is a reply to message #145481] Fri, 04 November 2005 02:42 Go to previous message
sstellini
Well, I sorted out the problem myself.
I run the 'Network Configuration Assistant' and reconfigured everything! Basically I entered the same values for database service, naming etc - everything that I did manually at first but it looks like something this tool does makes things work!

Btw, after examining the newly created tnsnames, sqlnet and listener files, I came to a conclusion that most probably what was wrong in my first configuration was the NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH clause in the sqlnet.ora
as at first it only had :
NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES)

but after the exercise, it is reading:
NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES, ONAMES)

cheers,
Sonja
Previous Topic: Problems with 2 diff listener
Next Topic: Dead Connection Detection
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 15:44:30 CDT 2024