Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » Two Servers with ONE External STORAGE
icon14.gif  Two Servers with ONE External STORAGE [message #142566] Sun, 16 October 2005 00:26 Go to next message
JoinNepal
Hi there,
I am looking for an option to run Oracle 9i Database to run from Two Servers storing data into EXTERNAL ONE STORAGE and let me mention in which Way.......

Two Servers A and B.
====================
From Server A, Oracle 9i Database is installed in EXTERNAL STORAGE. It means Oracle Services are Being Run from Server A.

Condition
=============
EXTERNAL STORAGE is configured in such a way that, In case Server A is down, Server B will be working using that same EXTERNAL STORAGE.

Problem
========
Since Oracle Service is being run from SERVER A only, Oracle 9i database will not be RUN though Server B is being Run and it can access EXTERNAL STORAGE.... once Server A is down.

How can I create Oracle Services same like in Server A , in Both Servers A and B. to prevent from the interruption of the work in case server A is down.

Thanks..
Regards,
Roshan
Re: Two Servers with ONE External STORAGE [message #142769 is a reply to message #142566] Mon, 17 October 2005 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
IMHO, it is called as Ghosting / Imaging.
Machine_B is an exact replica of Machine_A.
When Machine_A dies, push the image into Machine_B.
There are many tools to do that. Try googling.
Re: Two Servers with ONE External STORAGE [message #142838 is a reply to message #142769] Mon, 17 October 2005 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JoinNepal
hi,
Thanks for the response but that is not the answer I need.. My servers are already Imaged..
I need Database To be Mirrored...
For E.G When Server A dies, Oracle database should be run from Server B.
Please refer to my main posted message once again.
For ur kind information, once again....
My Oracle Database is installed in External Storage; not in Server ONE ..
But External Storage and all the Files/folders can be accessed from Server B when server A dies. But, Oracle Database in External Storage is installed from Server A. So, Server A is holding the Oracle Services. But Server B doesn't have those Oracle Services since Oracle is not installed in External Storage from Server B..
Thanks..
Regards,
Roshan
Re: Two Servers with ONE External STORAGE [message #144387 is a reply to message #142838] Wed, 26 October 2005 05:53 Go to previous message
girish.rohini
HI

IMO, you have 2 options: either use RAC configuration or move the logic of making oracle services up on server B, in case server A creashes, to the application server that is accessing the database.

Logic is something like this:

In your App server, check regularly for response from server A. If no response, then it should connect to server B, start oracle service there & then use the DB. It may need to perform crash recovery there on server B, but since as you said, server B is mirrored with server A, that should be possible.
But, yes for this oracle s/w must be installed on serverB as well. When you will be starting instance on server B, make sure to use same init.ora file that is being used in starting DB on server A.

//Experts: Does that make sense??

--Girish
Previous Topic: TNS:
Next Topic: Connecting to an instance
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 19:58:31 CDT 2024