Home » Other » General » general but,important questions
general but,important questions [message #141994] Thu, 13 October 2005 01:57 Go to next message
bhoite_amol83
Hi friends,
I want to ask some general questions.

1. Which is best career path and in which there are more opportunities.
a: PL/SQL developer
b: D2k Developer
c: DBA.

I have completed Oracle SQL(IZ0-007) certification.My qualification is BE(IT).

Your Suggetions are more important.

Thanx in advance for any help.
Amol.
So i have to move my career.[/SIZE]
Re: general but,important questions [message #142005 is a reply to message #141994] Thu, 13 October 2005 02:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
This is not a Forms question so I moved it to the 'General' forum.

Perhaps you should add HTML_DB to your list. I think that it is truely a tool of this decade where Forms (D2k) is very much last decade.

David
Re: general but,important questions [message #142022 is a reply to message #141994] Thu, 13 October 2005 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bhoite_amol83
Thanks David Sir,
Do u want to say that Oracle forms has less scope and HTML_DB has good market.
You also tell me about PL/SQL development.

Thanks in advance.

Amol.
Re: general but,important questions [message #142107 is a reply to message #142005] Thu, 13 October 2005 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bes2005
Hi,

The question is:
a) Do you want to follow a route which has more prospects of getting a job in Oracle field, no matter if you like it or not, or
b) Do you want to follow a route that you like.

Related to first question: You can get in the Oracle field much easier as developer than DBA, then you can grow

Related to second question: Ask yourself do you like development or looking after the server. Are you creative and patient and never get tired learning?

Nowadays you've got to be a DBA and a good developer at the same time. It's getting very competitive. I'm telling you.

Good luck
Re: general but,important questions [message #142212 is a reply to message #142022] Thu, 13 October 2005 17:54 Go to previous message
djmartin
Account Moderator
I believe that Forms and HTML_DB can both do nearly everything that people want to do. But Forms requires the JInitiator to be installed on EACH PC and organisations are becoming 'wary' of 'external' installed software. Also, if your clients are the PUBLIC, then they may wish/have to use Internet Kiosks which may NOT permit the installation of software on them. Hence an advantage to HTML_DB. Also if you are looking at a distributed software development environment, again the HTML_DB has that 'no installed software' advantage. Finally, if you want a very quick, Access or Excel to Oracle conversion tool then HTML_DB IS IT. In a big organisation with many want-to-be programmers creating lots of crappy Access and Excel applications, establishing and giving access to an in-house HTML_DB environment means that as a corporation you can provide corporate strength backup and recovery of the Oracle environment in which they are working, you can monitor their usage of the corporate resource called 'computing' so if they pet projetc has not been touched in 90 days you can ask them if they still need it. And the very important part, when they feel it is ready to be used by more than one or two people 'the professionals' can pick up the application, make it fit the corporate model, and them move it to the production environment via a single software environment.

Forms can do all this as well, maybe better, but with a larger learning curve, no conversion tool, and the need to give the users access to their 'register' - something which many installations are not inclined to permit.

David
Previous Topic: job
Next Topic: Oeacle9i Server -- Development Licencing
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 10:30:16 CDT 2024