Home » Applications » Oracle Fusion Apps & E-Business Suite » inetrfaces & conversions
icon5.gif  inetrfaces & conversions [message #139624] Wed, 28 September 2005 18:34 Go to next message
satchin
hi all
can anybody tell me the difference between interfaces and conversion. i heard there is not much of difference between them.what actually r those two??. i appreciate any inuts on this

satchin
Re: inetrfaces & conversions [message #139632 is a reply to message #139624] Wed, 28 September 2005 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kavitha Suresh
Hi Satchin

Frankly speaking yes , there is not much difference b/w Interfaces and Conversions.Below am outlining the basic structure of each of these.

Interfaces
----------

1) Use SQL* Loader to upload legacy data into your Custom Interface tables / predefined Interface tables.

2) Write a Program to pick up data from Custom Interface tables / predefined Interface tables to perform processing if any as specified in the Requirements document - Business Rules / Validation / Derivation etc etc ... Use Open Interface API's to pass all the necessary parameters so that corresponding Oracle Apps data can be created. ( As an alternative - populate Oracle Open Interface table with valid data ).

3) Run Corresponding Open Interface Program to import convert the data.

Conversion
---------
1) Use SQL* Loader to upload legacy data into your Custom Conversion Table.

2) Write a Program to pick up data from Custom Conversion Table
to perform processing if any as specified in the Requirements document - Business Rules / Validation / Derivation and other rules.Call Base Product API's to create records in Oracle 11i.

So, the only diff is the Open Interface Program,in Interfaces.

The Basic Structure is not necessarily the Hard and Fast way, it depends on the requirements and ease.

For Eg. Item Conversion.Most of the times you'll populate
MTL_SYSTEM_ITEMS_INTERFACE and other related tables and run Item Import (INCOIN) to import the items.What matters is how easily you can do it.

Another major difference would be Conversion programs are one time - Run once and forget it , Interfaces however depending on the business requirements might not be one time - Eg: GL Interface.

I guess this answers your question.!

Re: inetrfaces & conversions [message #139637 is a reply to message #139632] Wed, 28 September 2005 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
satchin
hi kavitha
thanx for the clarification

satchin
Re: inetrfaces & conversions [message #139678 is a reply to message #139632] Thu, 29 September 2005 02:34 Go to previous message
prabhuapps
Hi Kavitha,

Thanks for ur information abt conversion and interfaces.

hope u can help me.

Now i am developing Asset Conversion. Using sql*loader i transfered all data's into staging table. and using sql script (with validation) i transfered into fa_mass_additions. After that i run Mass Additions Post Program to load into Base tables..
it is not picking the values from fa_mass_additions table ...
can you give me some guide line...?

Bye for Now
Prabhu

Previous Topic: how is this training centre?
Next Topic: Need Information For Upgrading To Apps 11i DBA
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 08 03:43:19 CDT 2024