Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » best strategy to gather statistics in a very dynamic
best strategy to gather statistics in a very dynamic [message #131953] Wed, 10 August 2005 02:46 Go to next message
peterzaweber
Hi,

We have a "cache" database, that is used to merge data from different applications and present them to a web front end. Most of the data is purged from the database at night. This means, that we have many transactions during the day, and the the amount of data grows during a working day.

In addition we need DB statistics to make sure, that the application performance is acceptable. ... and we will migrate soon from Oracle 8i to Oracle 10g.

Does anyone have experience or ideas, what the best strategy would be to gather db/system statistics within Oracle 10g for such a system.

Thank you very much for your help
Peter
Re: best strategy to gather statistics in a very dynamic [message #132020 is a reply to message #131953] Wed, 10 August 2005 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
1. Look into dynamic sampling.
2. Enable Table monitoring.
sql> alter table table_name monitoring;
Then
your table will be analyzed only if there is a certain percentage of changes.
In your dbms_stats use GATHER STALE
3. Look into GATHER_SYTEM_STATS.
Re: best strategy to gather statistics in a very dynamic [message #132039 is a reply to message #132020] Wed, 10 August 2005 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
peterzaweber
Thank you for your reply.

That's what I did plan in the first place. But I thought this 'monitoring' is not possible any more with Oracle 10g.

Am I wrong about this?

Re: best strategy to gather statistics in a very dynamic [message #132041 is a reply to message #132039] Wed, 10 August 2005 08:45 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Thanks for pointing that.
You are right.
Monitoring option is depreciated in 10g.
The right approach would be enabling automatic satistics gathering.

Previous Topic: How manage over 8GB memory
Next Topic: Index & Performance Tuning
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 07:51:41 CDT 2024