Home » Applications » Oracle Fusion Apps & E-Business Suite » Good coding
Good coding [message #131125] Thu, 04 August 2005 09:07 Go to next message
Shaila.Mehra

Hi to all

Can anyone pass the information about API's.(exactly what they are and why we use them.)
Or where i get the documents on it.
I have no metalink account.

Bye.
Shaila
icon14.gif  Re: Good coding [message #131127 is a reply to message #131125] Thu, 04 August 2005 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tarun444
API's are nothing but a piece of code . the code may be written in any language. in oracle its written in pl/sql. these api's perform validations,enforce the bussiness logic, the list goes on .
Re: Good coding [message #131563 is a reply to message #131127] Mon, 08 August 2005 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shaila.Mehra

Hi Tarun,
Tarun are these coding used for customization of forms and reports.
If this then plzz.. give a short example..which customize the form...only one field..

Thanx Tarun..for ur reply and also in advance for further query ..

Dont mind naa.
Re: Good coding [message #131596 is a reply to message #131563] Mon, 08 August 2005 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
adragnes
API's are generally not used to perform customisations of forms and reports. Customisation of forms are done using either Forms Personalisation or the CUSTOM Library. In the future customisation of reports consisting of layout changes will be easy for reports built using XML Publisher.

How to perform Form Personalisations is described in "Forms Personalizations in Oracle Applications", Note 279034.1, on
Oracle MetaLink. Form Personalisations are available in 11.5.10 onwards, but it should be possible to backport to earlier versions by applying a patch.

How to perform CUSTOM Library changes is described with examples in the Oracle Applications Developer's Guide. Chapter 28 Using the CUSTOM Library. The manual is available for download from OTN.

It is possible to call an API from a form extensions. For instance you could add a CUSTOM Library extension to the Combined Person and Assignment form in Oracle HRMS to update an SIT when some data changes for the person. The update of the SIT would be done using an API.

In Oracle HRMS there are also hooks defined for certain events where you can add your own code and thus extend the application regardless of how a feature was used: in a form, from a self-service application or from a concurrent program.

--
Aleksander Dragnes
Re: Good coding [message #131737 is a reply to message #131596] Tue, 09 August 2005 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
karan.shandilya
Thanks Alek.

But i have no account on metalink.
Now in this case what i do.

Shaila.
Re: Good coding [message #131761 is a reply to message #131737] Tue, 09 August 2005 06:29 Go to previous message
adragnes
In order to access OTN you do not need a Metalink account, you can register for free. That will give you access to all the manuals.

As to getting the white paper from the Metalink note, I cannot imagine anyone licencing the Oracle E-Business Suite without getting access to Metalink. There must be someone at your site with access. Get them to get the document for you, or better yet, get them to create an account for you.

I cannot imagine working with EBS without access to Metalink. It is the number one spot to look when troubleshooting problems. For developers having access to the Electronic Technical Reference Manuals (eTRM) with specifications all the tables with description of columns and comments on tables is a must.

--
Aleksander Dragnes
Previous Topic: Apps
Next Topic: How to transfer the file between database server node to concurrent processor node
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 22:08:20 CDT 2024