Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Configuring the database parameters
Configuring the database parameters [message #127760] Wed, 13 July 2005 03:22 Go to next message
hafeez_splendid

hi,
Can anyone tell about the parameters which should be configures to obtain the maximum performance interms of cpu utilization , memory reads, memory writes.

Please suggest any document which can tell about the different values which we can give to those parameters for different type of applications.

Thanx in advance
Re: Configuring the database parameters [message #127819 is a reply to message #127760] Wed, 13 July 2005 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smartin
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B14117_01/server.101/b10743/toc.htm
Re: Configuring the database parameters [message #127865 is a reply to message #127819] Wed, 13 July 2005 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mjschwenger
I would have the same question just check the my own set up.
The link posted is "the BASICS", but we all know that depends on your type of system OLTP, DW, DSS, etc. your parameters could be twiked. I have a high transactional OLTP system.
What will be the parameters I can adjust to obtain higher performance? Something in short , may be...
Re: Configuring the database parameters [message #127980 is a reply to message #127760] Thu, 14 July 2005 08:10 Go to previous message
smartin
To me, the basics is really all you need for setting most parameters. Actually most parameters you can leave at the default. But if you understand the basics, particularly the memory architecture chapter, then you know enough to set the parameters based on your system. In later versions, oracle will do things for you with parameters such as sga_target and pga_aggregate_target. Just set those and forget it.

The administrators guide also talks about the parameters. And the 10g performance tuning guide has a chapter dedicated to initial configuration of your system which is an excellent read.

But the first step is to understand the basics.
Previous Topic: Influence of snapshot (STATSPACK) in object locks
Next Topic: trace level for query
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 04:22:30 CDT 2024