Home » Applications » Oracle Fusion Apps & E-Business Suite » Use of Oracle Apps Schema
Use of Oracle Apps Schema [message #126073] Thu, 30 June 2005 16:29
CRethem
The company I work for is using Oracle 9i database and 11i Applications. We have been doing a number of customizations that involve use of objects in the Oracle Apps schema. Oracle recommends that anything developed for use with Apps be created in the Apps schema (with the exception of tables). We also have a custom schema (XXMySch) setup to contain our custom tables (and other objects?). Recently we had a discussion among in-house developers about the wisdom of putting our customized packages, views, etc. in the Apps schema versus putting them in the XXMySch schema.

One argument says that putting them in the Apps schema guarantees that all the proper grants are automatically provided and that any patches or upgrades of the database or Apps will more likely work properly afterwords. This makes development a bit easier and breaks things less often.

The opposing argument is that putting things in the Apps schema doesn't make you recognize what pieces of the system you are actually using when you implement new custom functionality. This may not matter initially, but if you attempt to split away from Oracle Apps in the future, you are faced with a large task of identifying and re-implementing Apps-supplied functionality.

Has anyone weighed out the pro's and con's of these approaches or something similar?

Thanks!
Previous Topic: Meaning of oracle HR tables ends with _f
Next Topic: credit card feature to be added
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 02:50:06 CDT 2024