Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Logical database design
Logical database design [message #124715] Tue, 21 June 2005 01:30 Go to next message
hafeez_splendid

Can anyone tell me what are all parameters of Logical database which are to be consider while performing database design for getting better performance.

I got to know some of them,such as,
1.Connection Pool size
2.Index Pool size
3.Connection threads etc.,

I dont have much idea about this. Please throw some light over this .

Thanks in advance
Re: Logical database design [message #124847 is a reply to message #124715] Tue, 21 June 2005 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andrew again
"Logical database design" means logical design of ERD (where you have entities, attributes and M:M relationships) as opposed to physical database design where you have tables, columns, M:M resolving tables etc). Connection pooling is just a way to more efficiently create connections to the database for a large (say > 200) number of concurrent users.
Re: Logical database design [message #124917 is a reply to message #124715] Wed, 22 June 2005 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hafeez_splendid

Hi Andrew,
First of all thanx for ur reply but actually i want to know the parameters of logical part of database. I heard that by giving appropriate values to those parameters we can gain better performance . And they must be considered while creation of database

Can u tell me how this parameters such as Connection Pool size ,Index pool size can be set .

Thanks in advance

Re: Logical database design [message #124956 is a reply to message #124715] Wed, 22 June 2005 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smartin
Suggest you read the concepts guide.
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B14117_01/server.101/b10743/toc.htm
Re: Logical database design [message #125504 is a reply to message #124715] Mon, 27 June 2005 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hafeez_splendid

Thanq for replying .

i read the document and got to know something about " Connection Pooling ".But the main problem is that i didnt find anything about other parameters.

I need to know " Does the size of connection pooling depends upon parameters like I/O reads , I/O writes ,CPU reads, CPU writes, Number of users, Number of concurrent transactions, type of application(OLTP,OLAP) .
Re: Logical database design [message #125566 is a reply to message #125504] Mon, 27 June 2005 13:20 Go to previous message
andrew again
There are no specific parameters I know of specifically related to connection pooling. Are you talking about Oracle databse built in connection pooling/sharing capability mode (MTS = old name; shared server mode = new name). Or are you thinking about connection pooling from a middle tier like an application server?

Connection pooling is used to reduce the number connections (which each consume memory and other resourses) specifically when open connections are idle and there are a large number of concurrent users. OLTP is often characterised by large number of concurrent users and short individual transactions or queries. Reporting systems are often characterised by smaller numbers of users and having longer queries.

Database parameters would be influenced by the number of concurrent connections to the database. See PGA, large pool etc. parameters.
Previous Topic: Index for temporary table
Next Topic: Explain plan
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:03:23 CDT 2024