Home » Applications » Oracle Fusion Apps & E-Business Suite » extraction tool for oracle financial
extraction tool for oracle financial [message #123421] Mon, 13 June 2005 07:23 Go to next message
kmirza
hi ,
please anyone of u guys would tell me how can i extract data from oracle financial. i mean any oracle or third party tool for that purpose?

Thanks in advance,
Khurram Mirza.
Re: extraction tool for oracle financial [message #123482 is a reply to message #123421] Mon, 13 June 2005 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
adragnes
The simplest is probably just to use SQL*Plus to spool what you want to a file. If it is an extract you want to perform regularly, you should define views with the queries. The output could be a CSV, fixed column length og XML file. There are built in functions in SQL for creating XML.

The SQL*Plus scripts can be run as concurrent programs from within EBS. Please refer to Chapter 17 "Coding Oracle Tools Concurrent Programs" in the "Oracle Applications Developer's Guide" for more information about how.

Alternatively, you might write a PL/SQL programming using UTL_FILE or FND_FILE to write output to a user-specified file or the concurrent program output file respectively.

If the application you want to integrate with also runs of an Oracle Database, you might want to consider using views (possibly materialised) and a database link.

Other possibilities includes creating an ADO connection to the database and defining queries in Excel, using FSG to extract financial statements to Excel and Oracle Reports to generate extracts in a variety of formats.

--
Aleksander Dragnes
Re: extraction tool for oracle financial [message #123573 is a reply to message #123482] Tue, 14 June 2005 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kmirza
what about off the shelf tool and solution like Discoverer , Business Objects and etc. don't u think they can serve the same purpose.

khurram mirza.
Re: extraction tool for oracle financial [message #123591 is a reply to message #123573] Tue, 14 June 2005 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
adragnes
I'd say that SQL*Plus is just as much an off-the-shelf solution as Discoverer. It also has the added benefit of being free, but it is not something I would expect end users to be comfortable with.

Anyway, it is not as if you will not have to do some programming with Discoverer. You would still have to define views for the end user layer. Discoverer is more of a tool for reporting allowing end users to drill down, sort and filter. It is an excellent tool for its job.

If you could explain to us what you need your extracts for, it would help us in giving better advice.

--
Aleksander Dragnes
Re: extraction tool for oracle financial [message #123593 is a reply to message #123591] Tue, 14 June 2005 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kmirza
we have oracle financial application as source system, extract data from it and then apply some transformation rules to the data so that it can be loaded to data mart. our scenario is something like this. now what is the best approach for extraction in this situation.what are the limitations imposed by off the shelf solution, we discuessed.

khurram mirza.
Re: extraction tool for oracle financial [message #123675 is a reply to message #123593] Tue, 14 June 2005 07:07 Go to previous message
adragnes
If your data mart is based on an Oracle database in an instance other than the Oracle Financials one, I would just use a combination of views and a database link.

If you haven't got a data mart yet, and all it is going to be used for is to query data from Oracle Financials, creating an end-user layer of (materialised) views and then use Discoverer to create reports on it.

You might also want to consider Oracle's Daily Business Intelligence. It might give you the reports you need with minimal customization.

--
Aleksnader Dragnes
Previous Topic: SQL* Loader in Oracle Apps
Next Topic: some more interview Questions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 16:00:03 CDT 2024