Home » Applications » Oracle Fusion Apps & E-Business Suite » Migration!
Migration! [message #122989] Thu, 09 June 2005 08:47 Go to next message
thandavakarumuri
Hi Experts,

Can any one please tell me what is Oracle migration, what is the use of it, what are the methods in this and how to migrate.Please provide me an exact link or file. Please help. I was wondering if you help me out this.

Thanks in advance,
-Krishna
Re: Migration! [message #123153 is a reply to message #122989] Fri, 10 June 2005 03:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
adragnes
Krishna,

I wonder if you are referring to the general term migration or the product Oracle Migrator which I believe is the new name of iSetup.

Migration is to move configuration and code from one environment to another. For instance you probably do not want to key in all your value set values again in production after having completed your testing. This would be both boring, time consuming and error prone.

Fortunately, it is not necessary either. Practically all Application Object Library setup (flexfields, value sets, menus, profile options, responsibilities etc.) can be migrated using the command line tool FNDLOAD which is described in Appendix C "Loaders" in the "Oracle System Administrator's Guide".

But there is also setup specific to applications which cannot be moved using FNDLOAD, and FNDLOAD requires you to be comfortable using a CLI, which not everybody is anymore.

That is why Oracle came up with iSetup/Migrator which is a more user friendly web application doing what FNDLOAD does and more. There is a manual for it on the documentation CD available for download from Top Tech Docs on Metalink.

There was a presentation on migration at last year's OAUG Oracle User Forum in Paris.

I use FNDLOAD regularly. I did try iSetup a couple of years ago, but it was still not ready for use, but I do know that this is one of the areas which have been high on Oracle's list of priorities and that has seen considerable development since.

Other tools for migration includes WFLOAD for Oracle Workflow and a way to transfer FSG reports using database links from within the application. For migration control of patches, code etc. that is not something specific for the EBS so I suggest you ask in some DBA forum for more on that if you are interested.

--
Aleksander Dragnes
Thankyou very much! [message #123158 is a reply to message #123153] Fri, 10 June 2005 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thandavakarumuri
Hi Sir,

Thankyou very much! You have given me the exact information what i was looking Rigoursely. I Would like to say 100000 of thxs.
I have been doing as a intern in --- some company.Here the project is migration from 11.0.3 to 11.5.9.I was a bit confusion to understand that. That's why i asked you. Now am clear with this.May i ask you any more queries in futere regarding this? Please let me know so that i can be in touch with you.
Thankyou very much! Again......

-Krishna
Re: Thankyou very much! [message #123178 is a reply to message #123158] Fri, 10 June 2005 07:26 Go to previous message
adragnes
thandavakarumuri wrote on Fri, 10 June 2005 10:56

Hi Here the project is migration from 11.0.3 to 11.5.9.

You just used migration to mean something I did not cover in my post. The word migration has many meanings and in the way you just used it is synonymous with upgrade.

How are you performing the upgrade? Will you upgrade your current environment or will you start over with a fresh 11.5.9 install? If you are doing a fresh install and want to move setup from 11.0.3 to 11.5.9 you might run into some problems. There have been quite a few changes so you will have to test rigorously. In addition a fresh install is a good opportunity to clean up old fun. With a fresh install you will also have to deal with conversion which is somewhat related with migration as described in my first answer, but instead of configuration - it is about moving master (e.g. customers, suppliers) and transactional (e.g. invoices, payments) data from one environment to another. Oracle has a number of interfaces and APIs which you can use, but these does not allow you to convert everything you might want to. In 11.5.9 there is no supplier interface for instance.

If you upgrade your present environment, the upgrade is more a question of applying patches and then test and fix. Of course you will have to do it in a development environment first, and expect it to take a lot of time to get everything working.

The big challenge no matter what you do is actually the testing. You will have to have a complete overview of all your business processes and come up with a set of test scenarios that cover them. When the system passes all the tests you should have reason to be confident that the system works.

--
Aleksander Dragnes
Previous Topic: GL Technical Info
Next Topic: My triggers fails what could be the reason
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 01:27:25 CDT 2024