Home » Applications » Oracle Fusion Apps & E-Business Suite » Archive and Purge routines  () 1 Vote
icon6.gif  Archive and Purge routines [message #109857] Tue, 01 March 2005 09:24 Go to next message
alanm

Hi All,
Am new to apps. I have inherited and apps database of 260GB with data going back > 6 years. I have heard of archive and purge but am unsure as to what it is. Can someone provide a brief explanation of the process or point me in the direction of some documentation.

best regards

Alan.
Re: Archive and Purge routines [message #110952 is a reply to message #109857] Fri, 11 March 2005 07:32 Go to previous message
adragnes
Archive is to copy data from the database for long term storage. You can for instance archive transactional data that can no longer be altered because the periods are finally closed.

Purge is to remove data from the database. This could be done to improve performance and to free space. The first reason should not necessarily weigh too heavily as you can do wonders with proper indexing, partitioning tables and refreshing statistics in timely fashion.

Be aware that you have to be careful when doing this or you could get your company's auditors on your neck, or even the government. What data to retain and for how long should be clarified. Deleting information to early can be illegal, but retaining it longer than necessary can also be a problem. How many has not landed in trouble because of long-forgotten internal emails?

Information regarding purging and archiving are described in the manuals for the different applications in the E-Business Suite. For instance archive and purge for GL is described in Oracle General Ledger User Guide.

There are also a lot of third-party solutions for archiving data in the Oracle E-Business Suite which you might want to investigate if you really need to do it.

--
Aleksander Dragnes
Previous Topic: Purge Concurrent Requests
Next Topic: Setup Financial
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 19:27:13 CDT 2024