Home » Other » Marketplace » Please Read This, You can help me!
Please Read This, You can help me! [message #105074] Fri, 08 June 2001 06:02 Go to next message
Eric Martin
I am just getting into the computer industry and I have been researching Oracle for a small amount of time and it looks really promising as a career field.

What steps should I take to get myself into the market?

Should I get a Degree in Computer Science?
Should I get a certification in Oracle?
Should I learn programming?
Are Microsoft Certifications helpful?

I would love any information you could send to me.

I am very outgoing and ambitious and willing to start from the ground up...any reccomendations or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Eric Martin
Kamel407@yahoo.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: Please Read This, You can help me! [message #105075 is a reply to message #105074] Sat, 09 June 2001 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sundae
Yes, i am in the same situation as you.
I'd like to know if ORACLE DBA would be the right path to take.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: Please Read This, You can help me! [message #105498 is a reply to message #105074] Sat, 09 February 2002 21:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lekharaju
Eric & Sundae,

I saw your message ,

about my self
I am working as DBA for 7+ yrs in USA.
DB2 UDB (universal Database) for 3 yrs
DB2 OS/390 (mainframe) dba for 1+ ys
Oracle DBA for 3 yrs.

now a days Oracle didn't have good demand in IT market, try to start your career with IBM DB2 & Java. that may make your career better.

If you guys need any help or guidence feel free to contact me at elraju@hotmail.com

All the Best.

Raju
( Certified Oracle8i , DB2 UDB DBA & Sun Solaris SysAdmin)
Re: Please Read This, You can help me! [message #105642 is a reply to message #105074] Fri, 03 May 2002 15:03 Go to previous message
Sean Collier
Hey Eric & Sundae,

I made the mistake in trying to get into the Oracle biz through certification, without any doors of opportunity open. I have made zero progress. I have 1 test left to become Oracle8 certified, and almost impossible to get a job with no experience regarless of a certification. It seems as if certs don't matter. It is also hard to keep up with all of the versions Oracle is releasing so close together, especially when your not even in any type of Oracle position. That's why I appreciate hearing people like Raju trying to help those new to the game. I made a promise to myself, that I will do the same in return. Had I known then, what I know now, I would have tried to get my foot in the door 1st, then attempt certification. I hear and read stories all the time about Sr. Oracle DBA's making all this money with no cert. But once our foot is in the door and gain some experience, the opportunity is endless. But how you do that is apparently top secret code, or something.

Raju,
Since I have made the mistake already of seeking certification 1st, any advice or help on what I can do? I'm getting desperate!
Previous Topic: DB2/UDB Database Administrators urgently needed for US
Next Topic: 8i or 9i Certificate? Which is more feasible?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 17:56:19 CDT 2024