Home » Other » General » problem in installing oracle 8i and developer 6i tools
problem in installing oracle 8i and developer 6i tools [message #102204] Mon, 25 March 2002 12:16 Go to next message
Kiran Gummadi
Hi,

I have a PC with Windows 2000 Professional operating system. I am facing some problems in installing oracle 8.1.7. At first, I did install Oracle 8.1.6 on my PC and it worked perfectly. After that, I downloaded forms and reports 6i from otn and installed them. The installation was succesful, but when I did try to connect to the database, it's giving me an error message stating as follows: "unable to connect to destination". So, I had to deinstall the forms and reports 6i. After that, I read some articles on the internet regarding the problem and found an article stating "to install developer 6i first and then to install the oracle 8i database". So, in according to the article, I did remove the oracle database and then tried to install the forms and reports 6i first. They did install succesfully. After that, when I tried to install 8i, I could'nt run the setup.exe. I could'nt make it to open up the welcome screen. In other words, setup.exe is'nt running. Then I tried to remove the developer 6i tools and tried running the setup.exe for the oracle 8.1.7 enterprise edition and it did run. I did'nt understand what's going on???? I don't have a clue on what's going on??? Could any of you guys help me out with this problem??? I shall really appreciate it, if I can get a solution to this problem as soon as possible!!!! Thank You....
Re: problem in installing oracle 8i and developer 6i tools [message #102207 is a reply to message #102204] Tue, 26 March 2002 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grant
You probably had it right the first time. When you install the two apps it creates multiple oracle homes. Go into your registry and look up your TNS_ADMIN variable for all homes and copy your configured (the one that works) tnsnames and sqlnet ora files to each TNS directory and you should be able to connect to your database.
Re: problem in installing oracle 8i and developer 6i tools [message #102331 is a reply to message #102204] Wed, 01 May 2002 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jana
I am facing the similar problem. let me know if you could solve this problem.
Re: problem in installing oracle 8i and developer 6i tools [message #102341 is a reply to message #102207] Fri, 03 May 2002 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Loftis
Hi,
I had this problem too!!!!

I'm new to Oracle and a friend helped me to get my DB up and running then loaded forums/reports and now everythng is stuck.
How can you be sure which of the files mentioned are the ones that you are speaking of??
When my friend attempted to correct the issue he did search for the correct tnsnames and sqlnet ora files but we ran out of time and now he is unavailable and I'm dead in the water...
Also, we figured that it would be simplier to just un-install and re-install the DB. I tried to do this the next day but the program wouldn't completely un-install.
Any suggestions as to what should I do now???
problem in installing oracle 8i and developer 6i tools [message #102458 is a reply to message #102204] Mon, 10 June 2002 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hamayun
Hi,
I have a PC with Windows 2000 Professional operating system. I am facing some problems in installing oracle 8.1.7. At first, I did install Oracle 8.1.6 on my PC and it worked perfectly. After that, I downloaded forms and reports 6i from otn and installed them. The installation was succesful, but when I did try to connect to the database, it's giving me an error message stating as follows: "unable to connect to destination". So, I had to deinstall the forms and reports 6i. After that, I read some articles on the internet regarding the problem and found an article stating "to install developer 6i first and then to install the oracle 8i database". So, in according to the article, I did remove the oracle database and then tried to install the forms and reports 6i first. They did install succesfully. After that, when I tried to install 8i, .But my oracle can not connect my database. I could'nt make it to open up the welcome screen. In other words, My installation has a problam. Then I tried to remove the developer 6i tools and tried running the setup.exe for the oracle 8.1.7 enterprise edition and it did run. I did'nt understand what's going on???? I don't have a clue on what's going on??? Could any of you guys help me out with this problem??? I shall really appreciate it, if I can get a solution to this problem as soon as possible!!!!
My e_mail is "hamayun_shah@yahoo.com
Thank You....
Hamayun shah.
Re: problem in installing oracle 8i and developer 6i tools [message #102655 is a reply to message #102204] Tue, 13 August 2002 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
G. Alemu
Did u try installing them in different oracle_homes?
Re: problem in installing oracle 8i and developer 6i tools [message #103038 is a reply to message #102204] Mon, 20 January 2003 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saleha
There could be a problem that evertime when u r reinstalling ur sql u haven't remove registry files of pevious sql from ur hardisk.....
so do remove it from System registry...n try again!
Re: problem in installing oracle 8i and developer 6i tools [message #103773 is a reply to message #102341] Wed, 10 March 2004 08:03 Go to previous message
Safi Ullah
dear freind!
there are few tips which can lead one to an successfull instalaion of Oracle 8i(8.1.7) and Developer 6i. i.e.

1. always begin with a clean machine. it mean that the machine should not containe any oracle product. but it should a fesh one.

2. first install forms 6i.

3. install reports 6i.

4. restart the machine.

5. now begin the instalation of oracle 8i at a different oracle home(probably on the different drive).

6. when the file coping process is completed, wait for the database configuration which will be started autometically.
Previous Topic: What does Oracle Finance mean?
Next Topic: Free mail magazine for Oracle users
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 16:34:39 CDT 2024